California-Southern

Hi all, I'm Tisha and I'm new here from the desert. I grew up with chickens living in Lake Isabella, CA but haven't had them since I've been on my own the last 6 years. I moved to Ridgecrest a few years ago and now that my daughter is about the same age I first discovered my love for bantam chickens, I wanted to get a few. I've been begging my husband since we moved here to get them and he finally told me I can the other day. Is there a chicken friendly area in Ridgecrest? I'm still not 100% sure what the rules are on poultry here. I don't really have neighbors but I still live in the middle of town.
Also, I'm looking for hatching eggs of white crested black polish and silkies (not real concerned of the color silkie). Mixed are okay too as I'm not interested in showing them. I only want a few hens as pets and those are my favorite breeds. I'm in need of an incubator too if anyone close to my area has one I can buy cheaper than amazon. Willing to drive if within a couple hours from me. I thought about buying straight runs from McMurry's but since I won't be keeping any roos I hatch, this may be the only time my little one gets to experience chicks hatching. So I'll take one for the team and cross my fingers I don't get all roos lol.
Is there a specific thread for my area? I've never used a forum site so I'm having a hard time navigating.

Hi all, I'm Tisha and I'm new here from the desert. I grew up with chickens living in Lake Isabella, CA but haven't had them since I've been on my own the last 6 years. I moved to Ridgecrest a few years ago and now that my daughter is about the same age I first discovered my love for bantam chickens, I wanted to get a few. I've been begging my husband since we moved here to get them and he finally told me I can the other day. Is there a chicken friendly area in Ridgecrest? I'm still not 100% sure what the rules are on poultry here. I don't really have neighbors but I still live in the middle of town.
Also, I'm looking for hatching eggs of white crested black polish and silkies (not real concerned of the color silkie). Mixed are okay too as I'm not interested in showing them. I only want a few hens as pets and those are my favorite breeds. I'm in need of an incubator too if anyone close to my area has one I can buy cheaper than amazon. Willing to drive if within a couple hours from me. I thought about buying straight runs from McMurry's but since I won't be keeping any roos I hatch, this may be the only time my little one gets to experience chicks hatching. So I'll take one for the team and cross my fingers I don't get all roos lol.
Is there a specific thread for my area? I've never used a forum site so I'm having a hard time navigating.

Cant help you I am in San Diego But HI....
frow.gif
I used to have family in Inyokern and my Uncle Mitch was police Chief in Ridgecrest Aeons ago.... Like in the seventies.

deb

[COLOR=333333]Hi all, I'm Tisha and I'm new here from the desert. I grew up with chickens living in Lake Isabella, CA but haven't had them since I've been on my own the last 6 years. I moved to Ridgecrest a few years ago and now that my daughter is about the same age I first discovered my love for bantam chickens, I wanted to get a few. I've been begging my husband since we moved here to get them and he finally told me I can the other day. Is there a chicken friendly area in Ridgecrest? I'm still not 100% sure what the rules are on poultry here. I don't really have neighbors but I still live in the middle of town. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Also, I'm looking for hatching eggs of white crested black polish and silkies (not real concerned of the color silkie). Mixed are okay too as I'm not interested in showing them. I only want a few hens as pets and those are my favorite breeds. I'm in need of an incubator too if anyone close to my area has one I can buy cheaper than amazon. Willing to drive if within a couple hours from me. I thought about buying straight runs from McMurry's but since I won't be keeping any roos I hatch, this may be the only time my little one gets to experience chicks hatching. So I'll take one for the team and cross my fingers I don't get all roos lol.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Is there a specific thread for my area? I've never used a forum site so I'm having a hard time navigating.[/COLOR]

:welcome

To find out what the codes are in your area contact your city hall, or Animal Control and they will be able to answer your questions.

There are lots of people on BYC that have hatching eggs but remember, we cannot tell sex of those eggs...if you hatch roosters YOU have to figure out what to do with them.

IF you decide to by day olds from a hatchery you want to get SEXED chicks not straight run. Otherwise again you will have roosters that YOU will have to dispose of :(

Also, when you do build an outdoor enclosure for your chickens, FIRST find out what sort of predators are in your area and build that enclosure to withstand the worst of the critter that could attack.

:old

Welcome! I'm in Riverside. There is a thread you might find useful for keeping chickens in Ridgecrest, I'll post the link. @magdelaine lives in Inyokern, maybe check with her for sources and advice. She has been very helpful to me. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1005376/battling-extreme-desert-heat. Also, Papas Poultry here in Ca. has great reviews to order chicks. http://papas-poultry.myshopify.com/ Good Luck!

The breeds I want are only offered in straight run that's why I said that. I'm not new to chickens lol so I'm already aware of all that. Thank you though.

Hi Tisha!
I'm Pinky from Buena Park (near Knotts Berry Farm) and Lake Isabella (cabin), if you ever need anything from he Orange County way, let me know... I travel to my cabin usually on the weekends and can pick something up for you...we could meet at the 14 frwy/Lake Isabella turn off :) Just a thought for the future. Pinky

I grew up there so that's awesome. I still go there to visit family every couple weeks. It's no longer Lake Isabella. It's "Pond" Isabella lol

Hi Tisha, there is a local FB group for Ridgecrest and there is some discussion about recent regulations concerning chickens that were passed by city hall. Apparently you are only allowed 2 chickens, with permit, unless you are a fancier...and then with another permit you can have....wait for it...3! Here is the link if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566013383611742/. I think as usual this is just stupid government interference and if you aren't likely to be ratted out by neighbors you should do what you want to do. Also, regarding polish, there is a lady in Lancaster who raises Polish. She is probably on here as well but I know her by "feathers on the ground" on Facebook. She is close enough for you to pick up the eggs and thus get a higher hatch rate. Although I appreciate being able to mail hatching eggs, my hatch rates have been abysmal with posted eggs, even if mailed locally.

Last edited:
Hi Tisha, there is a local FB group for Ridgecrest and there is some discussion about recent regulations concerning chickens that were passed by city hall. Apparently you are only allowed 2 chickens, with permit, unless you are a fancier...and then with another permit you can have....wait for it...3! Here is the link if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566013383611742/. I think as usual this is just stupid government interference and if you aren't likely to be ratted out by neighbors you should do what you want to do. Also, regarding polish, there is a lady in Lancaster who raises Polish. She is probably on here as well but I know her by "feathers on the ground" on Facebook. She is close enough for you to pick up the eggs and thus get a higher hatch rate. Although I appreciate being able to mail hatching eggs, my hatch rates have been abysmal with posted eggs, even if mailed locally.

Thank you! Someone told me about that page but I couldn't find it for my life. Now to wait and be accepted. I decided to skip the eggs and order chick's through the mail. My self and my 5 year old are just too impatient to wait an extra three weeks to hatch lol. Did they actually pass it? Last I read they had postponed the conversation until august. Either way, my husband talked to the head animal control officer here and she said she doesn't even care if someone has chickens as long as the neighbors don't care. The closest neighbor we have is behind us. I taught his son in preschool and he's friends with my husband so I'm good to go. IF I ever get told I can't have then I'll move. I'd rather go through the moving process then go without my babies any longer lol. 6 years is too long a wait to be without them when you had then since you were born. XP

Thank you! Someone told me about that page but I couldn't find it for my life. Now to wait and be accepted. I decided to skip the eggs and order chick's through the mail. My self and my 5 year old are just too impatient to wait an extra three weeks to hatch lol. Did they actually pass it? Last I read they had postponed the conversation until august. Either way, my husband talked to the head animal control officer here and she said she doesn't even care if someone has chickens as long as the neighbors don't care. The closest neighbor we have is behind us. I taught his son in preschool and he's friends with my husband so I'm good to go. IF I ever get told I can't have then I'll move. I'd rather go through the moving process then go without my babies any longer lol. 6 years is too long a wait to be without them when you had then since you were born. XP
Ah yes, I understand completely. I did not grow up with chickens, but got them when we moved to Inyokern almost 5 years ago. After having them and loving it, we lost them all to a coyote. It look us 2+ years to completely re-do the coop and run (we are slow, lol), but now that I have them again, I won't live without them if I can help it. I've gone from 3 chickens in September to now over 77, more than half of those hatched by me. Whew! By the way, I will be breeding non-specific color frizzle and smooth bantam cochins and sebrights this next winter/spring, in case those strike your fancy.

Back
Top Bottom