California-Southern

Quote:
This is something I have been dreaming of doing and will do once I move back home. I have drawn up many plans.... But doing a workshop wont work for someone like me... I cant get in there and do hands on participation... Believe me I am no stranger to doing plumbing and electrical work but actually watching it go together in person would be awesome.

I cannot come to something so far away though.

deb

Last edited:
This is something I have been dreaming of doing and will do once I move back home.  I have drawn up many plans....  But doing a workshop wont work for someone like me...  I
cant get in there and do hands on participation...  Believe me I am no stranger to doing plumbing and electrical work but actually watching it go together in person would be awesome.

I cannot come to something so far away though. 

deb

From what I've seen in my research, the plumbing is pretty straight-forward. It's just not something we wanted to do ourselves. We do most things DIY, but decided to hand the Graywater install off. We did, however, have to do some prep work and dig out a brick ribbon on our patio and jackhammer the hell out of a post so we could move it and have a channel in which the pipe can rest. We also went through the trouble of grading it ourselves mainly because we want to make sure the angle is correct going out due to the not-too-good grading in our backyard. I'm sure it would have been fine if we hadn't done it, but the extra back-breaking work is for our own assurances in case there is a sudden heavy downpour. We don't want the water going back up into and towards the house. We can already see where water pools when it does rain.

Anyways, yes, this will be a hands-on workshop. Art will be teaching the logistics, regulations and the how-tos of it all, from plumbing at the washer, to running it out (and probably discuss options of doing so),to methods of getting the water to where you want it (e.g. to trees in your yard or a pond/reservoir), to digging, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Anyone local or semi-local with SFH (prefer crested), Spitzhauben and/or Brabanter eggs to sell? My one SFH is getting broody again and I'm considering giving her some special eggs to sit on. We're considering BJG as well. Earlier in the season, she successfully hatched some eggs fathered by our SF rooster. thanks! I'm in north Orange County at LA County Border.

Last edited:
Anyone local or semi-local with SFH (prefer crested), Spitzhauben and/or Brabanter eggs to sell? My one SFH is getting broody again and I'm considering giving her some special eggs to sit on. We're considering BJG as well. Earlier in the season, she successfully hatched some eggs fathered by our SF rooster. thanks!
You should say where you are when asking for someone local.

So folks were asking, so I'll respond here...

The plan for our graywater system is to install piping from the laundry room, so that water from the washer can drain into the backyard. We are planning to dig a pond (not a traditional fish pond), where the water will collect and slowly be absorbed into the ground for things we plant/grow. We also plan to plant some plants in and around the pond that will serve as natural filters and clean the water. 

Interesting! I'm curious about how large of a pond this sort of system would create, or require. I imagine everyone's household would be slightly different, but approx what size are you expecting to make? Hot tub size, pool size?

Hi there, I am in the more Northern part of Southern Cali.... Central Coast, SLO County! We were in Atascadero for a bit, but have recently moved to Arroyo Grande. We recieved njotice to move and had given away our entire set up, and we were starting to dabble and venture into the meat birds. Now that we are finally in a permanant home on a ranch where we have plenty of room, and are staying for a long time, we are starting back up again. I have been searching craigslist for some free starters but I keep missing out, and looking for free coops in need of repair, or just that people are getting rid of. It is a struggle out there. If there is anyone here, that have older hens that aren't laying much anymore and just need them to retire, let me know! I need them to help establish pecking orders and to get me going again. Plus they will enjoy living out the rest of thier life with plenty of room to run around and forage all day long! Maybe I can get some fertile eggs and get them to go broody and utilize them to raise up some chicks for us too! I loved it when our bantam naked necks went broody and hatched out 8 chicks! it was so sweet!

I have chain link panels, like for dog runs, that we have used in the past for our garden to keep the chicks out and what not. And we have a small one now, 6x6x4 that is housing the roos in. But we don't have coops for nesting or hens.

I don't have internet yet at the ranch nor cell phone reception. I recently rejoined the Facebook page. I adopted several free roos and some are so fancy and there are a couple that look good enough to eat! But we might just use for protection and breeding for now. I love the crowing and they all get along fine. They are young still, about 6 months or so. 2 Old English, 3 Black Ayam Cemani (culls because of impurity), 1 Egyptian, 2 Barred Rocks but 1 has tuffed cheeks so wonder if mixed with something and the other is a really big boy that looks so scrumptious but he might be good breeding for dual purpose!

Thanks in advance for any insider info on how else I might be able to come accross some free starter hens and coops!

In Aguanga/Anza area - anybody else in the area with Bantams and Polish?

Any advice on keeping roos and hens that are out of ratio? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom