California-Southern

Quote: We dug an initial pond about 4' deep, about the size of a kiddie pool. However, the whole thing isn't 4' deep. We have a shelf in it for putting in rocks and plants later. The pond holds 1 large load of wash, with room for a tiny bit more water. So, we decided to dig a second pond for overflow. The second pond is slightly smaller than the primary (practically negligible). We're also planning to carve some shallow channels for water to flow to other trees/plants. All a work in progress. The ponds look like mud pits right now and when it seeps into the ground, the chickens love scratching and poking around. Local birds have come for water as well, and the chickens enjoy chasing them off THEIR property.

Quote: We dug an initial pond about 4' deep, about the size of a kiddie pool. However, the whole thing isn't 4' deep. We have a shelf in it for putting in rocks and plants later. The pond holds 1 large load of wash, with room for a tiny bit more water. So, we decided to dig a second pond for overflow. The second pond is slightly smaller than the primary (practically negligible). We're also planning to carve some shallow channels for water to flow to other trees/plants. All a work in progress. The ponds look like mud pits right now and when it seeps into the ground, the chickens love scratching and poking around. Local birds have come for water as well, and the chickens enjoy chasing them off THEIR property.

Do you only have the wash water going to it ?
If not, what else goes to it ?

Do you only have the wash water going to it ?
If not, what else goes to it ?

Yes. Right now only graywater from laundry goes into the ponds. If I over-water my garden beds, overflow will go in there too. Also, later, when I get some plants to help filter the water, I may dump kitchen and shower graywater in there too. The kitchen and shower aren't plumbed for graywater. I just put them in buckets and dump them on the lawn or wherever we see fit to use it.

I have Bantam Cochins. I live 1 1/2 miles from Aguanga off 79 going toward Warner Springs.
That's great! I need to possibly rehome a few year-old tame and gentle Bantam Cochins and Polish - both hens and roos - will appreciate suggestions. Thanks
You're right - most likely will need to sell or rehome the roos.
It's a tough decision, since they are very efficient as roos - and tame and gentle in nature. Easy to get attached to these birds.

We dug an initial pond about 4' deep, about the size of a kiddie pool. However, the whole thing isn't 4' deep. We have a shelf in it for putting in rocks and plants later. The pond holds 1 large load of wash, with room for a tiny bit more water.  So, we decided to dig a second pond for overflow. The second pond is slightly smaller than the primary (practically negligible). We're also planning to carve some shallow channels for water to flow to other trees/plants. All a work in progress. The ponds look like mud pits right now and when it seeps into the ground, the chickens love scratching and poking around. Local birds have come for water as well, and the chickens enjoy chasing them off THEIR property.

Very cool! Good luck with the project!

You are all again cordially invited to the Fall Lake Elsinore, CPP/BYC South meet-up. The date is Saturday, October 17th, and the location will be at Lakepoint Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Starts at 10am (set up as early as you want, please bring me some donuts and coffee, lol) and goes until dusk or when Susan stops talking lol. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and a limited amount of picnic tables w/bbq's (3 in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk and YES the wagon will be available. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch or if someone wants to plan a potluck that's fine too. There is a photo booth being set up so you can get nice pics of you and your animal family. I am also looking for raffle items and donations. In addition I will post a reply to this post in the Elsinore Meet Up Post (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/931057/lake-elsinore-chicken-friends-meet-up) where everyone can post whatever they Have, Want, or Need. (Please quote whoever you are responding to) Also there will be a reply post for those who want to offer a raffle item i.e. Custom baskets like at the last meet-up.
Any questions, PM me... Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom