California-Southern

Good information! I will have time before Spring to make a decision on which direction to take.

I know with the Nene, one doesn't need a pond for breeding from what I have read since they are a non-migratory breed and I have read "Unlike other geese, Hawaiian Geese don't need open water, however, they will swim if there is water near their nests..." . Also, from wiki: The breeding season of the nene, from August to April, is longer than that of any other goose;[11] most eggs are laid between November and January.[7] Unlike most other waterfowl, the nene mates on land.[". But, Nene are harder to find.. I

If I go with Cotton Patch and build a pond or water source on the field I will absolutely contact you for goslings. I may just let the guinea fowl forage on the field at will rather than worrying about moving chickens off the field during the breeding season of the geese. The guineas fly where they want and can avoid the geese during that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_(bird)

Good information! I will have time before Spring to make a decision on which direction to take.

I know with the Nene, one doesn't need a pond for breeding from what I have read since they are a non-migratory breed and I have read "Unlike other geese, Hawaiian Geese don't need open water, however, they will swim if there is water near their nests..." . Also, from wiki: The breeding season of the nene, from August to April, is longer than that of any other goose;[11] most eggs are laid between November and January.[7] Unlike most other waterfowl, the nene mates on land.[". But, Nene are harder to find.. I

If I go with Cotton Patch and build a pond or water source on the field I will absolutely contact you for goslings. I may just let the guinea fowl forage on the field at will rather than worrying about moving chickens off the field during the breeding season of the geese. The guineas fly where they want and can avoid the geese during that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_(bird)

I have had NeNe's for several years. You need a Fish and Game permit to keep them and when they have babies, they will kill the Cotton Patch geese if they are in the same enclosure. They are fine with other birds if they don't start making a nest. These are not domesticated birds. You can get by with a wading pool for water.

Walt

Fowlman,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking to have just one breed of geese on the 1 acre irrigated dog training field. My first choice is the Nene. I've raised Canadians before and even when they nested we didn't have trouble with them attacking chickens, however, they were never enclosed together in a small area..always about 1 acre minimum..wonder if that's why as they could all avoid each other..? Yes, I know they are wild. I am up for the challenge and am very willing to be 100% prepared and research before getting them. We have wild turkeys now and have raised Mouflon and Soay sheep in the recent past. Do you think I'll run into trouble having 2-4 pairs of Nenes on a 1 acre securely fence irrigated field with no other geese? I do want to give them a water feature..not sure pond or pools but want it to be easy to maintain. I was thinking to have my Maran flock with them..again in 1 acre and doing paddock shifts with electric fencing and for the geese to have separate housing from the chicken coop for bedding down. Can you tell me what you liked and disliked about the Nenes and why you stopped raising them? Thanks so much!

Fowlman,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking to have just one breed of geese on the 1 acre irrigated dog training field. My first choice is the Nene. I've raised Canadians before and even when they nested we didn't have trouble with them attacking chickens, however, they were never enclosed together in a small area..always about 1 acre minimum..wonder if that's why as they could all avoid each other..? Yes, I know they are wild. I am up for the challenge and am very willing to be 100% prepared and research before getting them. We have wild turkeys now and have raised Mouflon and Soay sheep in the recent past. Do you think I'll run into trouble having 2-4 pairs of Nenes on a 1 acre securely fence irrigated field with no other geese? I do want to give them a water feature..not sure pond or pools but want it to be easy to maintain. I was thinking to have my Maran flock with them..again in 1 acre and doing paddock shifts with electric fencing and for the geese to have separate housing from the chicken coop for bedding down. Can you tell me what you liked and disliked about the Nenes and why you stopped raising them? Thanks so much!

You can have several Nene's together in a one acre area. love the nene's. Their voice and behavior......unless they are nesting. They are very cool geese.

Walt

Walt,

Do you still raise them and offer any for sale? Maybe I misunderstood your first post about them and I was thinking you "had them" as in the past..

I'm in SoCal, Aguanga (near Temecula) but have a friend that drives up the 5 every week transporting dogs all the way to WA and always is coming back with an empty van full of empty dog crates..so I'm thinking I can take advance of her empty transport van :eek:)

Debbie
PawsnClaws.us

Hi guys!!!!!
I just went to a feed store, and i saw this poor little fella staying alone. I picked her up and she had bent leg. She may be trampled over. She is a buttercup.
What can I do????? Please helppppp!!!!!
What is her chance of survival???? I don't mind raising a special need chicken!

Last edited:
Looks like it may have originally been a hip issue.
I would put on a fairly wide spraddle type splint to align the 2 legs and get weight off the damaged hock.
It may take a day for her to adjust to the splint and get mobile so in the meantime may need help with drinking water

Hi guys!!!!!
I just went to a feed store, and i saw this poor little fella staying alone. I picked her up and she had bent leg. She may be trampled over. She is a buttercup.
What can I do????? Please helppppp!!!!!
What is her chance of survival???? I don't mind raising a special need chicken!

Wishing you the best of luck. You are clearly very kind hearted. This is not happy information, but necessary as you embark on this effort. Hopefully someone will have a better outcome to share.

I have found this condition is fairly difficult to correct, even with a poultry veterinarian's expertise. In the event that you keep the pullet and she is not able to stand up on both legs, she will have significant problems. I haven't had one with this problem that could stand on one leg, and they are not able to grasp a perch, consequently they drag themselves across the ground when they aren't just laying in everything all day. They are still sweet and hungry etc, but as a pullet approaches POL other issues develop. They are also more susceptible to bug infestations as they can't groom properly and can't get away from all the crawly things. If you kept her in a pet carrier in the house, you may be able to control some of the impacts, including pecking from other chickens, and spend more time moving her around to relieve pressure points. I have noticed sometimes they have "friends" that like to hang out with them and keep them company, which improves their quality of life.

I can imagine that your flock is very well cared for.

I have had NeNe's for several years. You need a Fish and Game permit to keep them and when they have babies, they will kill the Cotton Patch geese if they are in the same enclosure. They are fine with other birds if they don't start making a nest. These are not domesticated birds. You can get by with a wading pool for water.

Walt

Hi Walt,

What are you bringing to the Ventura Poultry show in November? Any NeNe's or Cotton Patch? I remember seeing White Runners Ducks, Bantam Black East Indie Ducks, and Egyptian Geese, in addition to the chickens last year. As I recall you had a Black East Indie drake that won Grand Champion of Show and Champion Waterfowl, in addition to your other wins.

That is a fun show.

Wishing you the best of luck.  You are clearly very kind hearted.  This is not happy information, but necessary as you embark on this effort.  Hopefully someone will have a better outcome to share.

I have found this condition is fairly difficult to correct, even with a poultry veterinarian's expertise.  In the event that you keep the pullet and she is not able to stand up on both legs, she will have significant problems.  I haven't had one with this problem that could stand on one leg, and they are not able to grasp a perch, consequently they drag themselves across the ground when they aren't just laying in everything all day.  They are still sweet and hungry etc, but as a pullet approaches POL other issues develop.  They are also more susceptible to bug infestations as they can't groom properly and can't get away from all the crawly things.  If you kept her in a pet carrier in the house, you may be able to control some of the impacts, including pecking from other chickens, and spend more time moving her around to relieve pressure points.  I have noticed sometimes they have "friends" that like to hang out with them and keep them company, which improves their quality of life.

I can imagine that your flock is very well cared for.  

Yes i have 3 separate coops per breed and no more than 4 per coop. My Orpington coop is only occupied by 3 girls. So, she may be living inside my house for a while then. She is eating and drinking well, so far, and trying to play, although she is dragging her left leg. I am spinning my head now, seems like when I try to massage her leg and stretch it, she seems ok. Maybe birth defect instead of hatchery injury? She is able to sit straight, and I gave her a teddy bear to lean on.
Oh I wasn't even going to have more chicks, but I just cannot pass on this one.
I am thinking about maybe make a splint with a business card cut out and wrap with the medical wrap tape thingy?
Yes my coops are super clean. I maintain them daily and the chickens are well cared for.
Poor little fella!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom