California-Southern

I am in the foothills area so I escape some of the heat that the valley floor experiences.

I have one Ameraucana (Blanca) who gives me a huge green egg four days in a row, takes a two day break, and starts up again - very consistent unless she is molting. She is all white feathered and fares well even in the heat. The other one is an Easter-egger (Mustard) and has beautiful sage-hen/grouse coloring and she lays great all fall, winter and spring but goes on hiatus during June, July, and August.

My French Black Copper Marans give me three eggs a week (each) but I love the dark brown eggs. They lay better in the winter, too.

Tell me your experience with the Cream Legbar - I was eyeing them for possibly next year but it sounds like I should rethink it. I'm also looking at Marraduna Basque and Exchequer Leghorn.

Well, to be honest, the list of breeds I want is huge...

This is JMHO and a little sad experience. Friend and I had Marans and found them aggressive birds toward smaller or docile breeds (like Silkies, Ameraucanas, and EEs) and we re-homed all our Marans (Cuckoos and BCMs). We got about 3 eggs/week from them but they were never "chocolate" and seems only a few lucky owners or breeders get the really dark dark eggs. A friend's first Welsummer egg was darker than our Cuckoo's or our friend's BCM eggs. Our friend found their BCMs became very combative as adults toward other heritage/dual purpose flockmates. This is what a little Silkie looked like after our Cuckoo Marans chewed on her and outright viciously attacked another Silkie pullet. I thought the Silkie was molting but it was the Marans eating her alive!

Leghorns of all varieties are classified under the Mediterranean class and although lighterweight birds, they have a tendency to get aggressive to downright cannibalistic in a mixed flock. My folks raised Babcock Leghorns (white) and they were fine within their own breed flock or other Mediterranean class breeds but Legs around gentle or timid birds like EEs will eventually stress the jittery jumpy timid EEs. Our Buff Leghorn started to yank out all the crests, muffs, and beards of our gentle Silkies and Ameraucana so we had to re-home her. Our White Leghorn went bonkers out of nowhere on her flockmates after her 3rd year in the flock. The only good Leg layers are the White with Brown coming in second - all other varieties are not as good, including the Exchequer. Other Leg owners have said they think Legs are positively crazy but I say they just shouldn't be mixed with timid or docile breeds.

I've talked with people who have CLs and think they are great birds except some have said they weren't very good layers but that is just input I got from owners and haven't raised CLs myself. I personally am going to avoid blue-egg gene breeds in the future as I am finding not very promising production in them - Ameraucana, Araucana, CLs, EEs, Isbar, and Olive Eggers. My egg-seller friend has re-homed all her Amer, EEs, and OEs for low production and a Farmers' Market egg-seller says they won't get any more EE because of poor or sporadic laying.

People I contacted in the past that had Marraduna Basque for sale suddenly are no longer breeding them and I don't understand why since they caused such an interest when first introduced.

Currently the big craze seems to be the Bielefelders that are reportedly gentle giants and eventually lay jumbo to double yolker brown eggs. The BYC Bielie thread is a very fast growing thread with delighted people discovering this new breed. Being a fluffier-feathered breed they probably take the colder climates well. If I didn't have Silkie bantams in my flock I would've liked to try a gentle giant Bielie just to see what all the hype was about. I was always intrigued by the genlte giant Brahmas but apparently the big Bielies are better as jumbo egg layers.

Whatever breeds you decide on I wish you well. I've had 5 years of trial and error and decided I preferred a peaceful flock over having a colorful egg basket. My gentles flock consists of Silkies, Ameraucana, and Breda. My Amer is a dud layer her 2nd year giving us only 3 eggs. She is jittery and jumpy and runs from all the other hens rather than engaging in flock politics. She comes up to me and let's me pet and hold her but as soon as another chicken approaches she bolts. I might re-home her into a friend's EE flock to see if she gets along better with her own breed type. I get nervous watching her be nervous LOL!

Thank you, @sylvester017! I value experiences, opinions and input.

My FBCM are really sweet/docile so far, but I'll keep a watch out. The eggs came from eBay id survivalseedsowers, and twelve out of sixteen eggs hatched with six girls and six boys. I kept three hens (two black, one melanistic mutant white) and bartered the rest. The roosters were beautiful.

I love my Bielefelder (Petunia) and Red Orpington/Bielefelder cross (Panzer) but they are still babies. I'll be selling my Niederrheiner pair in the next month or two - I would love to keep the hen but they are more useful to someone as a pair, and it will be less stressful for them to stay together. They are so loving and sweet, and still try to stuff themselves under their FBCM foster mama at night.

At the moment the "bully" in my flock is the Australorp. She chooses a bird or two to pick on every few months and pulls out tail feathers, chases them from the feeder, etc. Thankfully the run is big enough that they can hide from her, eat at the other feeder, etc. I've read wonderful things about Australorps, but this one did not read the same materials! :)

Thank you!!! I will contact them and ask.

Another question: Yesterday I heard in the radio that this year's El Niño storm will be as big if not bigger than the one in 1997. What are you guys doing here in SoCal to prepare your coops for this storm? I have those manufactured coops I bought online.

I have a modified coop inside a run. On the upside of the run I have straw bales on their long end all along the side. This is the side where the water would be coming from in the event of big rains. The top of the run has a roof on one half, and a heavy duty waterproof tarp on the rest. When it gets really soppy, I flake off some straw and put it inside the run so they have places to stand that aren't squishy.

Thank you!!! I will contact them and ask.

Another question: Yesterday I heard in the radio that this year's El Niño storm will be as big if not bigger than the one in 1997. What are you guys doing here in SoCal to prepare your coops for this storm? I have those manufactured coops I bought online.

providing a wind break is a very good idea. Straw bales as was suggested are dual purpose. I used tarps over the coop any way so its just a simple matter of dropping a flap down for winter storms.

In my Aviaries During the 97 flood they had about two inches of water standing in the bottom. If I had thought better during those days I could have layed out some pallets to let the birds have something above the water to walk on. A temporary measure for sure but one they would have appreciated. Aviarys are a bit different though I was raising finches and parakeets. They handled the cold well and staye off the ground any way.

Here in the desert the perk rate is phenomenal so it would take a storm of biblical proportions.

deb

Regarding the picture of the Silkie with no crest above. It is never a good idea to put bantam chickens in with large fowl......particularly ornamental breeds with crests. They can't see the other bird coming and can't compete in the daily testing of the pecking order. Sometimes it will work, but expect to have a bald Silkie as they will be the target for every bird in the flock. A bald Silkie can lead to a dead Silkie, as all chickens are cannibalistic under the right conditions. The chicken social order is called "the pecking order" for a reason. Just about all large fowl of any breed that comes from a hatchery will have Leghorn in them...so keep that in mind as well. It was done to increase the laying in some breeds that don't lay well.

Walt

Hi So. Cal
I will be visiting San Diego this week (Dec 1-4) to enjoy the sun. Any Oriental breeders out there? Would like to chat, pm me if interest.
I

My FBCM are really sweet/docile so far, but I'll keep a watch out. The eggs came from eBay id survivalseedsowers, and twelve out of sixteen eggs hatched with six girls and six boys. I kept three hens (two black, one melanistic mutant white) and bartered the rest. The roosters were beautiful.

I love my Bielefelder (Petunia) and Red Orpington/Bielefelder cross (Panzer) but they are still babies. I'll be selling my Niederrheiner pair in the next month or two - I would love to keep the hen but they are more useful to someone as a pair, and it will be less stressful for them to stay together. They are so loving and sweet, and still try to stuff themselves under their FBCM foster mama at night.

At the moment the "bully" in my flock is the Australorp. She chooses a bird or two to pick on every few months and pulls out tail feathers, chases them from the feeder, etc. Thankfully the run is big enough that they can hide from her, eat at the other feeder, etc. I've read wonderful things about Australorps, but this one did not read the same materials! :)

Niederrheiner - now that's another breed that I would've liked to try but it seems like the similar Bielies are taking over as favourites because of their large eggs. I worry about jumbo layers or engineered Sexlink jumbo layers because they nutritionally exhaust themselves laying and have a lot of issues like prolapse, eggbound, and internal reproductive problems. I read an article yesterday about a production hen's skeletal structure suffering calcium loss and that no amount of calcium supplementation can halt the deterioration of their bones. This has always been my reason for appreciating broody breeds - the broody sessions give the hens' bodies a rest to recuperate after laying so many eggs. Mankind has engineered the natural broodiness out of chickens all for the sake to get money from high production - so sad for any livestock being used as a commodity rather than a living breathing life.

I'm surprised the Australorp has turned bully. I never had one but heard good things about them. It could be she is perceiving the BCM's or other large breeds as a threat and is using her heaviness to keep everyone in line or she is just bullying because she can get away with it - it's a chicken thing. In any event, I don't tolerate feather-yanking or fighting bullies in my flock and they're gone immediately; otherwise the meanness is contagious and the whole flock gets contentious with each other or cowardly hiding all day - not a good mood set for good egg production from the other breeds. Hey, I've gone through 13 chickens to get down to my current 4 docile-breed hens where I'm not worrying that one is going to beat up another! It's said that isolating the bully hen for a few weeks and then introducing her back into the flock will make her lower on the pecking order but in time I found the bullying eventually emerges again so now I don't bother and just re-home immediately. Every owner's situation and flock mixes are different and owners have to decide what works best for them. JMHO that in a penned situation a bully is too confined and won't settle down as long as there's easy access to the other gentle breeds.

I had a gentle alpha hen that had a severe 3rd year molt and it took her about 3 months to fully re-feather. When she came back to normal she turned on her flockmates with a vengeance as if to say I'm still the alpha and I'm here to stay - but she was getting too aggressive about it - 2 weeks isolation did nothing to change her behavior. She was such a sweet humane alpha for 3 years and then went bonkers. She was re-homed into a more assertive layer flock where she took over but was more evenly matched with the new flock's temperament. Pecking order squabbles occur and is normal but I've had to re-home 4 mean overly-aggressive bully hens - I hated to do it because I was attached to them but overall it was the right thing for me to do.

Hi, I'd like to add my experience to the mix. I have several flocks with different configurations, some with or without a rooster. In particular, one large flock has Cream Legbars, Marans, and Ameraucanas as well as other breeds. They get along fine even though the pecking order is disrupted from time to time. There have been no injuries or pecking issues. It seems that smaller groups are more likely to have focused problems, whereas larger groups have plenty of subgroups that constantly change.

I also have a rooster run which is really well behaved. That group dynamic can become unbalanced with additions or other changes.

If you are interested in Cream Legbars, there are a few breeders in So. Cal. who may have positive experiences to share. There is also a couple of Cream Legbar threads on BYC that have good information, as well as a separate Cream Legbar Club website.

Regarding the straw bales, they have advantages and disadvantages. One thought is that they are more likely to harbor mites than wood chips or leaves do. If the bales are wet/damp and begin to mold, that is not healthy. However digging around in fresh straw provides good exercise and a distraction (which helps to reduce behavioral problems).

providing a wind break is a very good idea. Straw bales as was suggested are dual purpose. I used tarps over the coop any way so its just a simple matter of dropping a flap down for winter storms.

In my Aviaries During the 97 flood they had about two inches of water standing in the bottom. If I had thought better during those days I could have layed out some pallets to let the birds have something above the water to walk on. A temporary measure for sure but one they would have appreciated. Aviarys are a bit different though I was raising finches and parakeets. They handled the cold well and staye off the ground any way.

Here in the desert the perk rate is phenomenal so it would take a storm of biblical proportions.

deb

The pallets are a good idea, thanks for that. The ammonia problem is inevitable with water and chicken droppings. I make good use of Sweet PDZ. Do you have another solution?

Back
Top Bottom