California-Southern

I have seen my mid sized mixed Americanas Play tug of war with a mouse and the winner swallowed it whole. So dont rule out all chickens for mouse duty. I had a barred rock hen that was Johnny on the spot for a scurrying critter. If they can catch it they will eat it. LOL... that includes snakes. Chickens in general. Just pay attention to your space for ranging. I have eighteen acres that is unfenced my yard is about a fenced quarter acre if that. My largest flock at one point was about thirty. They went all over the place out of the yard and back in. They would spend alot of time in the horse corral sifting through the Poo. Good stuff in horse poo. There is no grass here so they grass mined in the horse corral. YOu have a compost pile. You might consider keeping soldier flies. They live off compost and break down oil and other little nasty bits. They tend to run off other flies plus the larva are excellent food for the chickens. Hermetia illucens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetia_illucens You can buy larva at places that produce live food for fish. They are also calle Phoenix worms. There are suppliers here in Southern California. Actually several. Look up soldier fly bins. You put your compost in them from the kitchen add in the soldier fly larva and they turn it into compost in record time. When they are ready to pupate they climb out of the bin You keep a few to replenish your stock and let the rest be food for the chickens. WIN WIN. deb
Mine just watch the mice go by.
1f644.png
We do have BSL in the compost as well as regular houseflies. I haven't tried to raise BSL Specifically though... Seems like I'm adding another pet to manage, and am not ready. Lol. Chickens, mealworms, garden that keeps getting eaten by chickens who outsmart me, skunks and mice that dig up my garden, etc etc.
1f602.png
Question: what's benefit or difference in application between granulated and power PDZ?

Mine just watch the mice go by.
1f644.png

We do have BSL in the compost as well as regular houseflies. I haven't tried to raise BSL Specifically though... Seems like I'm adding another pet to manage, and am not ready. Lol. Chickens, mealworms, garden that keeps getting eaten by chickens who outsmart me, skunks and mice that dig up my garden, etc etc.
1f602.png

Question: what's benefit or difference in application between granulated and power PDZ?

I haven't found specific information about the benefits based on the two types, but I use both.
I thought the powdered might look less like food to the chickens, but my information is that it is not harmful if they do ingest it.
I thought the granulated might be less likely to get kicked up and end up in their airways, but that was a non issue.

Sometimes I use the granulated with the idea that it might be longer acting due to it's size, but nothing to confirm that.

Last edited:
Hello All,
We have four chickens that are almost three months old. Our Cuckoo Maran turned out to be a rooster. We were so hoping he wouldn't but has started to crow. He's such a sweetie and we really love him but unfortunately can't keep him. We would love to give him to a home where he would be loved just as much and taken care of.
If anyone is interested please let me know. I'm in northridge CA, or if anyone knows of a local farm that would take him in or anywhere he could go to where he wouldn't be eaten I'd truely appreciate any help in re-homing him safely. Thank you.

Hello All,
We have four chickens that are almost three months old. Our Cuckoo Maran turned out to be a rooster. We were so hoping he wouldn't but has started to crow. He's such a sweetie and we really love him but unfortunately can't keep him. We would love to give him to a home where he would be loved just as much and taken care of.
If anyone is interested please let me know. I'm in northridge CA, or if anyone knows of a local farm that would take him in or anywhere he could go to where he wouldn't be eaten I'd truely appreciate any help in re-homing him safely. Thank you.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom