California-Southern

Heads up, ladies and gents! I will be setting 24+ Blue Laced Red Wyandottes a week from Saturday. These have birds from the four main breeders~ Jerry Foley, Blue Poultry, Patterson and Gabbard Farms. Here are some pictures... I am also hoping for eggs in early February from the silver laced pair pictured, to set with some LOCAL lavender Orpingtons (had a disastrous experience with shipped lav orp eggs recently). Let me know if anyone is interested... 4 BLRW are spoken for, along with what I might keep.

Those are all very good REAL breeders.

Walt

Those are all very good REAL breeders.

Walt

yes, thank you Walt...that means a lot coming from you. I have not been happy with what I've seen available out this way (lots of "light", faded colors, on skinny birds) and knew what I wanted, and from who.
1f603.png
Wish me luck! What do you have going on these days?

yes, thank you Walt...that means a lot coming from you. I have not been happy with what I've seen available out this way (lots of "light", faded colors, on skinny birds) and knew what I wanted, and from who.
1f603.png
Wish me luck! What do you have going on these days?

People just buy from whoever is calling themselves breeders these days and they end up disappointed, but those people are heavyweights......you did well buying from them. You must have done some research. You will be very happy.

I have a lot of things going on, but I suppose you mean chicken wise. Large fowl: Shamo, Asil, New Hampshires. Bantams: Modern game, Ko Shamo, OEGB, white Leghorns, Sumatras, Dutch, Nankin misc and lots of waterfowl.

w.

People just buy from whoever is calling themselves breeders these days and they end up disappointed, but those people are heavyweights......you did well buying from them. You must have done some research. You will be very happy.

I have a lot of things going on, but I suppose you mean chicken wise. Large fowl: Shamo, Asil, New Hampshires. Bantams: Modern game, Ko Shamo, OEGB, white Leghorns, Sumatras, Dutch, Nankin misc and lots of waterfowl.

w.

Yes- no kidding. I showed, and bred, golden retrievers. It is important to me to do my due diligence. It only pays in the end. A $30 bird from a good breeder CAN save you hundreds in the long run...especially when you start letting hens go broody to add more to your flock.

Everything must start with a good foundation. Take, for instance, BLRW... They literally made a new chicken!
1f602.png
....and it took YEARs, with ongoing "improvements". I don't think many backyard enthusiasts realize what true breeding actually entails. Culling, and mastering genetics, is no small feat! I'm happy to hatch out the experienced breeders hard work, giving them credit.

I primarily have chosen this route, as it seems Southern Cal (at large) has a very stale pool of breeds and "inventory". I went to the little show at Ventura fairgrounds expecting something really great and was very disappointed. It seemed the room was full of the same 5 breeds...and LOTS of seramas and bantams. While they were all great, my husband even asked if they were "the main kind of chickens or something?"...
1f633.png
Like any good wife, I'm bringing him really cool chickens- to make him feel better, of course. Ha!

Now as for you, I have to say...you are working with some interesting breeds there! Wow! Good for you!
1f609.png

Yes- no kidding. I showed, and bred, golden retrievers. It is important to me to do my due diligence. It only pays in the end. A $30 bird from a good breeder CAN save you hundreds in the long run...especially when you start letting hens go broody to add more to your flock.

Everything must start with a good foundation. Take, for instance, BLRW... They literally made a new chicken!
1f602.png
....and it took YEARs, with ongoing "improvements". I don't think many backyard enthusiasts realize what true breeding actually entails. Culling, and mastering genetics, is no small feat! I'm happy to hatch out the experienced breeders hard work, giving them credit.

I primarily have chosen this route, as it seems Southern Cal (at large) has a very stale pool of breeds and "inventory". I went to the little show at Ventura fairgrounds expecting something really great and was very disappointed. It seemed the room was full of the same 5 breeds...and LOTS of seramas and bantams. While they were all great, my husband even asked if they were "the main kind of chickens or something?"...
1f633.png
Like any good wife, I'm bringing him really cool chickens- to make him feel better, of course. Ha!

Now as for you, I have to say...you are working with some interesting breeds there! Wow! Good for you!
1f609.png

I was at the Ventura show. It is a bit early for a lot of chickens, but has some very good breeders showing there. The PPBA show in Modesto next weekend will have 3500 birds, so three times what you saw in Ventura. It is the APA National meet.

Walt

I was at the Ventura show. It is a bit early for a lot of chickens, but has some very good breeders showing there. The PPBA show in Modesto next weekend will have 3500 birds, so three times what you saw in Ventura. It is the APA National meet. Walt
Yes! I'm going to try and get my other crazy chicken friend to go with me!!! Come to think of it, I do remember a couple Asian birds there maybe... What'd you bring?

Yes! I'm going to try and get my other crazy chicken friend to go with me!!!

Come to think of it, I do remember a couple Asian birds there maybe... What'd you bring?

Mostly waterfowl as the chickens were not ready to show. Runner ducks, Mallards, Call ducks, East Indie ducks, Egyptian goose and Ko Shamo chickens.

w.

Are there any shows down Orange County way? I have to miss the Modesto show as its trout opener at my fave lake. But I would love to go to a show.

Back
Top Bottom