California-Southern

Thanks for the list. I am not new to keeping chickens but I am new to all this chicken attention! I had about 150 chickens when I had my place in Acton CA I did not show, I ate them. As a single Mom those chickens saved my life and provided meals for myself, my son and my neighbor, who was also a single Mom. But since the almighty internet my interest has spiked because of BYC. Since retired I would like attractive healthy chickens and I think I found a great pod of informative peeps here! Thanks to all.

I really worry about shows.

It only takes one sick bird or carrier (or contaminated clothing) to spread disease such as mareks

That's my concern as well. I am not a breeder so my poultry will be what I prefer in the way of meat and eggs and entertainment. I would be devastated if I had something sweep through.

Hence the only way I will repopulate will be through hatching eggs... Or through hatching and raising up my own.

deb

I really worry about shows.

It only takes one sick bird or carrier (or contaminated clothing) to spread disease such as mareks

That's my concern as well.  I am not a breeder so my poultry will be what I prefer in the way of meat and eggs and entertainment.  I would be devastated if I had something sweep through. 

Hence the only way I will repopulate will be through hatching eggs...  Or through hatching and raising up my own.

deb

I Agree. I have rarely had birds on our property that I did not hatch.

With all this talk of disease (an admittedly very valid worry!) I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone going to shows, especially big ones like upcoming PPBA show, quarantine is so so so important! And so is being VERY VERY VERY careful with clothing and shoes!

- Always change your clothes and wash immediately after coming home from a show, including jackets and such

- Wash/bleach your shoes worn at the show, and even after that don't wear them in the coop for a while

- Spray some viricide/disinfectant on the floorspans/mats in your car if you wore the same shoes at the show + in your car

- If you bring home birds be INCREDIBLY careful with quarantine

- Keep them as far away as humanely possible from your flock, in a place where wind/weather can't transfer dander or any bodily fluids from the quarantine birds to your flock

- Change clothes/wear different shoes when handling and feeding Q. birds, always wash hands up to the forearm afterwards

- MINIMIM 2 WEEKS QUARANTINE BUT 3+ IS HIGHLY PREFERABLE

- Quaratine applies to birds being shown too! It's plenty possible for birds to pick something up at shows, so never immediately reintroduce your own show birds after a show. Always do the two weeks separation to be safe, and don't be lazy about it just because they're your own birds.

- Use a "canary" (bird from your flock you don't like very much). Do not introduce birds without quarantining them with a canary! Birds with decent immune systems can get infected with something, show symptoms for a week or two, then recover and never show symptoms for the rest of their life while still transmitting disease! Canaries are ideal because if the birds have something, the canary will likely become infected and since its immune system hasn't experienced this disease before, it will show symptoms that will allow you to identify disease.

- Never buy birds that in any way seem droopy, lethargic, have pale combs, closed eyes, aren't noisy or active, have dirty butts, have bubbly eyes, have breathing issues, or in any other way seem abnormal and even slightly unhealthy. Just walk past. I don't care if it's a bird there's only 5 of in the country, if it's a variety or breed you've been searching for for 10 years, or just a cute little fuzzball you fell in love with at first sight. Keep walking.

Please keep in mind that while transfer via clothes/shoes is less common, it is absolutely possible, especially where water/mud/cold weather is present. However, birds are the real issue - please, just, don't ever bring in a new bird without quarantining. As someone who has first hand experienced the effects of being stupid and not quarantining, I'm begging y'all here. Just be responsible and be careful.

This is all getting a bit Debby Downer, I'm sure; and please remember that I'm not trying to freak everyone out! As long as you are smart and cautious about this, there is no reason to spend the entire show worrying about these things. The real point of the show is that we are all having fun, OK? OK. This has been a PSA.

QueenMisha
Thanks for that comprehensive reminder. The fact that we need to do that makes it such a pain.
I would love to go to shows but just the thought that a few hours of fun could put my own birds at risk for me makes it just not worth it.

With all this talk of disease (an admittedly very valid worry!) I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone going to shows, especially big ones like upcoming PPBA show, quarantine is so so so important! And so is being VERY VERY VERY careful with clothing and shoes!

- Always change your clothes and wash immediately after coming home from a show, including jackets and such

- Wash/bleach your shoes worn at the show, and even after that don't wear them in the coop for a while

- Spray some viricide/disinfectant on the floorspans/mats in your car if you wore the same shoes at the show + in your car

- If you bring home birds be INCREDIBLY careful with quarantine

- Keep them as far away as humanely possible from your flock, in a place where wind/weather can't transfer dander or any bodily fluids from the quarantine birds to your flock

- Change clothes/wear different shoes when handling and feeding Q. birds, always wash hands up to the forearm afterwards

- MINIMIM 2 WEEKS QUARANTINE BUT 3+ IS HIGHLY PREFERABLE

- Quaratine applies to birds being shown too! It's plenty possible for birds to pick something up at shows, so never immediately reintroduce your own show birds after a show. Always do the two weeks separation to be safe, and don't be lazy about it just because they're your own birds.

- Use a "canary" (bird from your flock you don't like very much). Do not introduce birds without quarantining them with a canary! Birds with decent immune systems can get infected with something, show symptoms for a week or two, then recover and never show symptoms for the rest of their life while still transmitting disease! Canaries are ideal because if the birds have something, the canary will likely become infected and since its immune system hasn't experienced this disease before, it will show symptoms that will allow you to identify disease.

- Never buy birds that in any way seem droopy, lethargic, have pale combs, closed eyes, aren't noisy or active, have dirty butts, have bubbly eyes, have breathing issues, or in any other way seem abnormal and even slightly unhealthy. Just walk past. I don't care if it's a bird there's only 5 of in the country, if it's a variety or breed you've been searching for for 10 years, or just a cute little fuzzball you fell in love with at first sight. Keep walking.

Please keep in mind that while transfer via clothes/shoes is less common, it is absolutely possible, especially where water/mud/cold weather is present. However, birds are the real issue - please, just, don't ever bring in a new bird without quarantining. As someone who has first hand experienced the effects of being stupid and not quarantining, I'm begging y'all here. Just be responsible and be careful.

This is all getting a bit Debby Downer, I'm sure; and please remember that I'm not trying to freak everyone out! As long as you are smart and cautious about this, there is no reason to spend the entire show worrying about these things. The real point of the show is that we are all having fun, OK? OK. This has been a PSA.

Thank you for this post. This is something that should be shared periodically especially when there quite a few people who are new to Chickens. I am filing it away for future.

Being conscientious is not a downer. I appreciate a refresher....
bow.gif

deb

There has never been a reportable disease started by a poultry show and in 50 years of showing never brought anything home to my flock. I don't medicate, vaccinate, but I do practice great biosecurity. The PPBA show will be patrolled by California Poultry Health Inspectors. 5 of us.

99 percent of poultry disease pproblems start in commercial poultry operations.

Do whatever makes you comfortable however and learn proper biosecurity.

Walt

There has never been a reportable disease started by a poultry show and in 50 years of showing never brought anything home to my flock. I don't medicate, vaccinate, but I do practice great biosecurity. The PPBA show will be patrolled by California Poultry Health Inspectors. 5 of us.

99 percent of poultry disease pproblems start in commercial poultry operations.

Do whatever makes you comfortable however and learn proper biosecurity.

Walt

Thanks! That is really good to know.

I live in Buena Park, near Knotts Berry Farm, I'm gonna start a small coop for chickens. The lady at city hall hasn't given me a direct answer if I can or can't have em. I also have a cabin up at Lake Isabella where I have 13 gunieas. I am thinking of getting a incubator for a hobby. Can I keep it in the house or r there any smells to it?

Back
Top Bottom