California-Southern

I live in Pomona and This is my run, I have 7 Barred Rocks, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Cayuga Duck, & 1 Pekin Duck, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 Siberian Husky, and 3 kids lol . I converted half my shed into a coop and I let them out into a secured yard daily. The dogs are not trusted around my flock

I removed the run brooder and replaced it with a pond for the ducks and yes I brood in the run so they learn life skills and social structure from the get go

Welcome To BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego. Nice setup.... I intend on brooding in the run as well when I get it all rebuilt. A mob of Guineas.... LOL. I am going to use this method

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

This can be used outside with out fear of fire from a heat lamp. The chicks self regulate.

deb

San Diegans,
do you guys think it is warm enough to transfer my 6.5 week olds to the outside coop soon? I leave them outside during the day but during the nights it gets down to mid 50s. So far I kept bringing them inside as soon as the sun would go down.

Thanks for any advise, Daniela

I removed the run brooder and replaced it with a pond for the ducks and yes I brood in the run so they learn life skills and social structure from the get go
Hey, food, water, a place to dust bathe, and a pool to swim in - what else could birds ask of paradise?
Just wondered, how do you drain the pool for cleaning? Does it have a drain plug or how do you do it?

San Diegans,
do you guys think it is warm enough to transfer my 6.5 week olds to the outside coop soon? I leave them outside during the day but during the nights it gets down to mid 50s. So far I kept bringing them inside as soon as the sun would go down.

Thanks for any advise, Daniela

they are ready for sure.... make sure they understand how to go up the ramp. A night light in the coop is a help for when it gets darker in there than out side. One of those little lamps that run off the sun would work.

deb

You can poke a hole through a head of lettuce or Cabbage and run a string through for dangling.... for chicken tetherball.
I bet an ear of corn would be a hit as well. the dangly part acts as enrichment.

deb

Hi there~
frow.gif

I'm new to BYC and the SoCal thread.
I didn't quite read all 505 pages of posts prior to this, but I'll look forward to getting acquainted with you all as I get a chance.
smile.png

I'm Monica in the High Desert. We're zoned for livestock, so we currently have 11 hens, but were hoping to get more this spring.
We hatched a couple, started from chicks with others a few years ago when I was pregnant (& very broody,)
wink.png
but I think I'd prefer to start with hens, or pullets this time.

Nice to meet you.
highfive.gif

~Monica

Hi there~
frow.gif

I didn't quite read all 505 pages of posts prior to this, but I'll look forward to getting acquainted with you all as I get a chance.
smile.png

I'm Monica in the High Desert. We're zoned for livestock, so we currently have 11 hens, but were hoping to get more this spring.
We hatched a couple, started from chicks with others a few years ago when I was pregnant (& very broody,)
wink.png

Nice to meet you.
highfive.gif

~Monica

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High Desert..... what part of Southern California are you?

deb

Hi there~
frow.gif

smile.png

wink.png

Nice to meet you.
highfive.gif

~Monica

Hi Monica, thanks for joining the conversation. Do you have other livestock? I look forward to seeing pics of your flock and coop/foraging area. Sounds like your brood has enjoyed growing up with the chickens.

If you reach a point that you are looking for started stock, I always have more hens/pullets than I need due to my breeding programs. I have to hatch extra to select what I'm looking for as they mature. Needless to say, there is no shortage of cockerels in the mix too.

Are the wildflowers in bloom in your area? Maybe California poppies?

Hi!! I have a few days old Polish chicks: white crested black, black on black, and mixed WCB and Silverlaced. I also have one 2-week old Blue Partridge silkie and black on black Polish for sale. They are straight run.
Anyone interested please PM me :)

Back
Top Bottom