California-Southern

You know, I usually end up with an interesting story or two whenever I deal with The Craigslist (including having a fine, slender, intensely hyperactive individual insist on adding the "the"). Yikes. I'd just ignore the email. :-/

Totally wish I could handle more roosters, but haven't found an option for them yet and currently have a big bossy boy (who I'm keeping) and one little baby Phoenix roo who I have to find a home for still :( best of luck selling your fluffy facers!!!

Yeah CL is always interesting. I also had a strange person very eager to come to my house ASAP to check out 3 Seramas I'm selling for my parents. I suggested a more public place nearby, and the person balked saying they didn't know the city/area and asked if I could meet closer to them, though 3 minutes earlier he was ready to come over not knowing where I live. :lol: Then the person wanted to know if I was willing to swap cockerels so that we both would have new unrelated chickens. I said no, due to the fact my parents can't keep that many AND die to biosecurity. Then person implied it was logical to swap and asked why I wouldn't. Sigh. I replied with one word: biosecurity.

Good luck rehoming your boy!! It's so hard when you can't keep more than you'd like. Sigh.

I heard a similar story through an acquaintance.... she let some fellows interested in her Seramas come by to check them out. the next weekend someone stole several of her prize birds.

Its not just biosecurity you have to maintian but PERSONAL security as well.

sigh

deb

OMG that's terrible!!

Yes, personal security is very very important. It's one of the main reasons I meet most respondents elsewhere. However, I just tell them it's due to biosecurity purposes. It's nicer sounding than "I'm afraid you might be a crazy untrustworthy person."

You know, I usually end up with an interesting story or two whenever I deal with The Craigslist (including having a fine, slender, intensely hyperactive individual insist on adding the "the"). Yikes. I'd just ignore the email. :-/

Totally wish I could handle more roosters, but haven't found an option for them yet and currently have a big bossy boy (who I'm keeping) and one little baby Phoenix roo who I have to find a home for still :( best of luck selling your fluffy facers!!!

Where at do you live? And how young is the rooster? My mom might beat me (kidding) depending on how old we may be able to take it. I have one roo whos one of those fancy cream legbar ones. But hes still seperated from the others due to not being as big (had a hawk problem awhile ago wiped out 12 chickens 9 which were teens so half grown maybe 2 months or 3 we had a pen built thats 4 foot tall 4 feet wide and 8 feet long but had ordered 18 from a hatchery and all lived (was impressed only 1 roo in the bunch and he was stunning) so room soon became the issue and i let them free range with the others. Well the hawks attacked. Besides the 9 teens it took. It killed our 3 adult bantams including a bantam roo. And the bantam girls went back into the pen i had built along with the remaining 9 chicks. Didnt matter stupid well a very mean 4 letter word starting with f hawk reached in and killed the bantams threw the kong dog crate. The rest of the pen is in hardwire mesh. And just the other day we had not one but 3 coyotes in our backyard. It got a few chickens. For sure one of my black fluffy ones as nothing but feathers were left. Once i scared them off i found a wounded chicken. Shes still alive thank god. It droped her but not before creating good size gashes/holes. And when my sis came over and we worked on the areas they got in at. I found 2 of my birds dead in my neighbors backyard. The coyotes had droped them and ran. But it was too late for them. Then the other day found a dead one i didnt even know had been attacked. My mom had saw two coyotes. I saw the one that droped my girl. But once we calmed down we realized had to have been three as there were two dead birds in neighbirs yard plus the one it droped. So in total for sure coyotes got 5 chickens one still kicking. But i think it was 7 as two arent roosting where they were. Between fixing where they came in (didnt know how low neighbirs brick wall was all they did was hope it and walk down the brick wall like steps into our yard) plus amonia and moth balls snd lights and talk radio they have stayed away. Our friends coming today to wire the back property fence and finish our shed we have for the chickens to roost in. Next will be finishing there new pen. Our roo we had from the hatchery got stuck between our fence and just didnt recover. Depending how far you are there is also a place in el monte that takes roos as donations and rehomes them. He makes sure they dont go to fighting homes or homes where they will be eaten. Its called +16264420781 wes feed shop. Hell even give you a bag of feed. Ive takend like 7 roos to him when i had too many at once. Sorry to ramble.

Oh and i havnt candled them yet ill go find our bright flashlight. I know when i moved the eggs when i transfered them into a box the chicks could safly get in and out of one egg was light weight the others had some weight to them. I have an incubator i might use.

:( poor chickies! Thanks for the contact info, he's a little far for me but good to know.

I can't post pictures for some reason, but my little roo is a runty silver phoenix with a bad foot. He needed a lot of vitamins and care to make it through his first week and he's 8 weeks as of yesterday. Just starting to get his pretty iridescent feathers.

Not show or breeder quality, he's just a pet. Yet untried in the predator arena, but he's a brave little guy.

I'm going to keep him for a while and see how he interacts with my rooster. I've heard about runts suddenly dying at around 3 months, so I'm keeping him through then at least. He seems strong as far as I can tell. Total cutie, of course. I hope he turns out to be a good hawk lookout and does well with the big kids.

I have a special needs girl as well. Shes laying. As a chick somehow leg got injured and she cant use it. Shes not in pain and uses her wings as crutches and hopes about. I have her with my teens. I plan on keeping her in a cage but in with the other birds so they cant hurt her. I didnt have a good afternoon i went to candle the eggs mom killed 3 chicks. So now i have 9 chicks to raise. As i dont trust her. Its warm enouvh out that they dont need a heater except at night right? Ill keep them in my front yard where i can watch them then a night put those hand warmer things in with them to kwep them warm. Its bright and sunny and 77 out right now.

sad.png
poor chickies! Thanks for the contact info, he's a little far for me but good to know.

I can't post pictures for some reason, but my little roo is a runty silver phoenix with a bad foot. He needed a lot of vitamins and care to make it through his first week and he's 8 weeks as of yesterday. Just starting to get his pretty iridescent feathers.

Not show or breeder quality, he's just a pet. Yet untried in the predator arena, but he's a brave little guy.

I'm going to keep him for a while and see how he interacts with my rooster. I've heard about runts suddenly dying at around 3 months, so I'm keeping him through then at least. He seems strong as far as I can tell. Total cutie, of course. I hope he turns out to be a good hawk lookout and does well with the big kids.

I have a special needs girl as well. Shes laying. As a chick somehow leg got injured and she cant use it. Shes not in pain and uses her wings as crutches and hopes about. I have her with my teens. I plan on keeping her in a cage but in with the other birds so they cant hurt her. I didnt have a good afternoon i went to candle the eggs mom killed 3 chicks. So now i have 9 chicks to raise. As i dont trust her. Its warm enouvh out that they dont need a heater except at night right? Ill keep them in my front yard where i can watch them then a night put those hand warmer things in with them to kwep them warm. Its bright and sunny and 77 out right now.

I can relate! I now have 2 special needs chickens. Ironically, the both happen to be Faverolles. The injuries happpened separately. The first is my girl who broke her leg a little over a year ago. It's healed and she can move around, but just not as steady or fast with her limp and hop. She sometimes uses her wing as a crutch for support too, especially when she's preening or scratching an itch. The poor girl also gets mated by the roosters more too because she's so easy to catch. So, she looks rather beat up. She gets special treats, which she loves, but she doesn't like the special treatment.
droolin.gif
. She just wants to be like the other chickens.

My other special needs chicken, is my rooster, who recently got an injury in his eye and is now blind. Poor guy is readjusting to life at the very bottom of the pecking order. As a crazy chicken mom, I evne started a blog and instagram to chronicled the rooster's injury
hide.gif
and other chicken adventures. (in case anyone is interested, here's the link to the blog: https://realhensofoc.wordpress.com/

@chickencrazy21 - It should be fine outside until maybe about after 5 pm. It really depends on where you are, micro climate issues, if there's shade, etc. Sorry about the baby chicks. :( My broody hen accidentally crushed one of her eggs 2 days before hatch...not sure if it's all her or if another hen tried to go lay eggs in her nest. Then, after hatching, she accidentally crushed one of the baby chicks. She's actually a great mama hen, despite the accidents. She's very very attentive and furiously looks for every single baby if one of them accidentally gets left behind or stuck somewhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom