California-Southern

How are you all planning to keep your Chickens cool this weekend/week? Everybody doing ok so far?

Supposed to be 117 up at my house today.... havent checked the weather.

Shade Shade Shade.... Panting does not mean they are thirsty they are just trying to cool off. Extream panting is signs of stress.

I keep a patch of wet ground for them to walk about on. Next go round I will do some kiddie pools filled with sand and a few holes on the bottom to let the water seep out. Then set a drip.... keeps em clean and the feet is where they cool off.

I have seen pictures of chickens plunked down in a mud puddle.... Misters work here because the water can evaporate.... Not so much in high humidity climates though.

I prefer waterers that are tubs rather than poultry waterers of any kind. because they are able to dip their wattles into the water as they drink. Heat exchange.

Also expect some hens to stop laying as they spend their energies to get cool.... though Mine never missed a beat sitting in that next box panting away....

treats like ice cold watermellon and or ice in the water dish....

But honestly Mine only used the mud and the shade.... Oh and also I never had the heavy fully fluffy feathered birds.... Mine were game EE crosses.... Both are very heat tolerant.

deb

Supposed to be 117 up at my house today....  havent checked the weather.

Shade Shade Shade....  Panting does not mean they are thirsty they are just trying to cool off.  Extream panting is signs of stress.

I keep a patch of wet ground for them to walk about on.  Next go round I will do some kiddie pools filled with sand and a few holes on the bottom to let the water seep out.   Then set a drip....   keeps em clean and the feet is where they cool off.  

I have seen pictures of chickens plunked down in a mud puddle....     Misters work here because the water can evaporate....  Not so much in high humidity climates though.  

I prefer waterers that are tubs rather than poultry waterers of any kind.  because they are able to dip their wattles into the water as they drink.  Heat exchange.

Also expect some hens to stop laying as they spend their energies to get cool....   though Mine never missed a beat sitting in that next box panting away....

treats like ice cold watermellon and or ice in the water dish....  

But honestly Mine only used the mud and the shade....  Oh and also I never had the heavy fully fluffy feathered birds....  Mine were game EE crosses....    Both are very heat tolerant.

deb

I can't believe how hot it is today and tomorrow is going to be worse! I've been giving everyone ice water periodically to cool down and we have lots of shade in the run. I hope everyone stays cool out there!

104 in santee at noon. My house is sixty miles east just above the drop to El Centro.... word is It should get 117 up there.... 120 down in the desert...

gald my horse has 24 x 24 shade strucutre.... Black horses High heat Not a good combo

How are you all planning to keep your Chickens cool this weekend/week? Everybody doing ok so far?

I got up early this morning to buy parts and to modify and beef up the mister I made 1.5 years ago. It went from this (one nozzle):

To this (3 nozzle):

I mount it to various tree branches where they like to hang out. Doing it this way is cheap, versatile and significantly lowers the ambient temperature.

I got up early this morning to buy parts and to modify and beef up the mister I made 1.5 years ago. It went from this (one nozzle):

To this (3 nozzle):

I mount it to various tree branches where they like to hang out. Doing it this way is cheap, versatile and significantly lowers the ambient temperature.

COOL!!

Ive been keeping a close eye on my 3 week old chicks. Everyone has shade and water its suposteed to be hotter here tomorrow when ill turn on the misters. Im most worried about my two black cats. There outdoors in an enclosure...do cats like misters lmao

Back
Top Bottom