California-Southern

So it finally happened.

Got a complaint from a neighbor today about my roosters crowing. My main rooster has an obnoxious crow and he goes off at 0330 for about 10-15 crows, then is quiet until dawn where he goes bananas until 0900 but it's dawn and the rest of the neighborhood roosters are sounding off in their manly chorus as well.

My structures are compliant and my property is zoned for 4 roosters and 25 hens. I currently have 2 roosters and 4 hens (I know, not a good ratio, but that's for a different post).

What can or should I do?

My rooster is coming up on two years old and the neighbor has only lived here a few months. They knew when buying the place I had roosters next door and their zoning is the same as mine.

He IS obnoxious. If I can get the 0330 crowing to simmer down, that might help, but the crowing at dawn is his natural right and my legal one.

Anyone have any luck after a complaint? Or any luck getting a rooster to stop crowing at cars? I like these people, but I love my obnoxious rooster.

:-/

So it finally happened.

Got a complaint from a neighbor today about my roosters crowing. My main rooster has an obnoxious crow and he goes off at 0330 for about 10-15 crows, then is quiet until dawn where he goes bananas until 0900 but it's dawn and the rest of the neighborhood roosters are sounding off in their manly chorus as well.

My structures are compliant and my property is zoned for 4 roosters and 25 hens. I currently have 2 roosters and 4 hens (I know, not a good ratio, but that's for a different post).

What can or should I do?

My rooster is coming up on two years old and the neighbor has only lived here a few months. They knew when buying the place I had roosters next door and their zoning is the same as mine.

He IS obnoxious. If I can get the 0330 crowing to simmer down, that might help, but the crowing at dawn is his natural right and my legal one.

Anyone have any luck after a complaint? Or any luck getting a rooster to stop crowing at cars? I like these people, but I love my obnoxious rooster.

:-/

talk to your neighbors offer them eggs and bring them on board with soutions ... let them know you are tryihg to resove the issue.
I know of people in Australia who put their roo in a box for the night. a roo box... sound proof both ways.

deb

talk to your neighbors offer them eggs and bring them on board with soutions ...  let them know you are tryihg to resove the issue.
I know of people in Australia  who put their roo in a box for the night.  a roo box...  sound proof both ways. 

deb

Egg bribes have been offered and rejected :-/

I've been putting him in the house in a dog crate but honestly, I just sleep through it if I leave him out. And I'm a light sleeper! But moving him to the crate then back out again at dawn is really bad for me because I work weird hours and dawn is when I have to sleep. :-/ I tried darkening the coop a bit more tonight. We'll see. Thanks for your input.

Egg bribes have been offered and rejected :-/

I've been putting him in the house in a dog crate but honestly, I just sleep through it if I leave him out. And I'm a light sleeper! But moving him to the crate then back out again at dawn is really bad for me because I work weird hours and dawn is when I have to sleep. :-/ I tried darkening the coop a bit more tonight. We'll see. Thanks for your input.

I stayed up all night to see what the problem is. At 0348 he crowed 15 times, triggered by a truck passing. At 0430 and 0500 he crowed 2-5 times triggered by watering systems turning on. And 0530 is dawn so I'm not counting anything else and going to bed.

So now, like you said, talk and bring them on board with solutions! It doesn't seem that bad to me so hopefully a small change will help with the 3am truck (he's only got one way out of town and it's by the coop!). Thanks, Deb!

I'm looking to rehome a few polish chicks in the So Cal area. White crested black, buff laced, and white polish available. Purchased as all females vacccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis.

Asking 2 for $60 or 3 for $75 if anyone is interested. Local pickup only

I'm looking to rehome a few polish chicks in the So Cal area. White crested black, buff laced, and white polish available. Purchased as all females vacccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis.

Asking 2 for $60 or 3 for $75 if anyone is interested. Local pickup only

I have a black crested Polish rooster I'm trying to get rid of - I'll throw it in for free, if anyone takes you up on your offer!

Last edited:
I also have black copper maran, salmon favorelle, mille fleur, silkie and many other roosters available. I've sent so many roosters to the local feed stores, they can't take any more. Free!!!

I stayed up all night to see what the problem is. At 0348 he crowed 15 times, triggered by a truck passing. At 0430 and 0500 he crowed 2-5 times triggered by watering systems turning on. And 0530 is dawn so I'm not counting anything else and going to bed.

Haven't heard of a roo box so that might be interesting. I would guess legal they can't do anything bc your zoned for it. We just bought our property 6months ago and bc its zoned for synch things we had to sign paperwork stating we knew and are aware of the possibility of dust, animal smells, animal noises, fame equipment sounds all permitting 24/7. However depend how close in proximity your neighbors are is it really worth the tension between neighbors? That's an individual decision and unique for each person based on many things. I have not ever used but have also heard of the crow collars. Again not sure how effective they are I've never looked to far into it bc my roosters crowing doesn't bother anyone. But that could be a possibility. Either way is a stressful feeling and I hope you can find some sort of resolution to it all. Even though in my opinion your in the right, zoned for it, and have been there longer. But that's my opinion and again these are neighbors you have to live near. Hope it works out for ya
1f609.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom