California-Southern

I know how you feel!!!  My house was built in 1903 - it used to be the main house for an Orchard that covered this whole end of the valley I live in.  This valley didn't incorporate until 1969.   The houses that surround me were all built between the 1970's and 1990's.  This was a farming community.  The un-incorporated areas are allowed farm animals - including roosters, but the rest of the valley - they are banned.  I'm not zoned for ANY chickens, but recently, a 4-h member fought the city - to allow them to keep up to 6 hens - as long as you have 5,000 sq ft lot.  The city is currently trying to pass an ordinance to allow anybody with a minimum of 5,000 sq ft.  I have 2 acres.  He basically said, if we sign up for 4-h that nobody will care how many hens I have.  But roosters are a NO=NO and could jeopordize all my chickens. 

I know - I love my silkie roos!!!

I have 3 no crow collars and have only had 1 rooster that they worked on.  You have to almost CHOKE the rooster and still it only quiets them a little.  I'm sure other people have better luck, but not me.  I have had some that freak out so badly with it on, that I can't use them.  I'll keep trying them, but unless it complete quiets them, they have to go!

Can you register as a farm given the property once was a farm? Maybe through the historical society? One you're on the books as a farm (or best yet, a historical landmark farm), not even the sound ordinance (which supersedes the zoning ordinances) applies.

Can you register as a farm given the property once was a farm? Maybe through the historical society? One you're on the books as a farm (or best yet, a historical landmark farm), not even the sound ordinance (which supersedes the zoning ordinances) applies.
I'll give it a try. I went to our local historical society and they didn't have a whole lot of info on my lot. They did have the name of the original owners. I also found some aerial photos of the area from the 50's. The entire area was just trees. I was going to order one of those and see if i could map out my property line.

I'm not sure if that would trump the city ordinances, but it's worth a try!! Thanks for suggesting it!!

Kathy

I'll give it a try.  I went to our local historical society and they didn't have a whole lot of info on my lot.  They did have the name of the original owners.  I also found some aerial photos of the area from the 50's.  The entire area was just trees.  I was going to order one of those and see if i could map out my property line.

I'm not sure if that would trump the city ordinances, but it's worth a try!!  Thanks for suggesting it!!

Kathy

I just dug through San Diego County ordinances and so I can tell you that's true for this area. Plus I lived next to a farm in Encinitas for a while. Totally city, but right there in the neighborhood was a multi acre farm, complete with roosters. I loved it, of course. And of course they fight annoying neighbors constantly who bought their million plus dollar new homes next to a farm and somehow complain. I don't know the rules for city, but being a farm, animal rescue or zoo gets you special allowances here, which includes roosters and no noise ordinance.

Quarantine update: these poor girls, I swear. So I put a little fenced area up that's protected by bushes, a chain link fence and isn't frequented by my other birds, plus is upwind from them. Prefect spot, so they're outside enjoying the new freedom from the Laundryroom of Poop. Well, this house was designed and "updated" by a series of creative people who aren't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed. So an irrigation valve breaks in the front, I test it and it's the line that waters the front of the house. Cool. Get the parts, install, test test test. Finally get it working and go check on the pullets in the back.

THEY'RE DRENCHED.

Someone installed a single sprinkler attached to that line somehow, all the way around the house on the other side up a hill.... And I put their little fence around it.

HAHAHA REVENGE FOR THE WALLS!

They'll dry :)

Extra treat time! Sorry, little ones!

Try a child 's sock on neck...helps quiet the Roos. Advice from my 11 yr old granddaughter in Tx . She is right. Welcome newbie. I enjoy my chickens so but exponential chicken math led to trouble. On LA if anyone wants some 19 wk olds. 2 just layed firsts this week!!!

I had to tske in 2 of 3 of my roos. The 3rd i suspect is one vut cant prove which is the culprit. I did what any crazy chicken lady would do. Stock piled eggs to incubate. Was going to do the 48. But decided 21 was enoguh.i hate not having a roo. Feels like idont have chickens. Did you know roos and barking dogs are the same frequency? So my neighbors dog can bark all night long.bbut my roo who only crows once in awhile not all night long or all day long has to go. Makes total sence right

I had to tske in 2 of 3 of my roos. The 3rd i suspect is one vut cant prove which is the culprit. I did what any crazy chicken lady would do. Stock piled eggs to incubate. Was going to do the 48. But decided 21 was enoguh.i hate not having a roo. Feels like idont have chickens. Did you know roos and barking dogs are the same frequency? So my neighbors dog can bark all night long.bbut my roo who only crows once in awhile not all night long or all day long has to go. Makes total sence right
I'm sorry you are having to get rid of them. I'm in the same situation. Simi bans ALL ROOSTERS. There are no exceptions allowed. But the next town over - either side of me, allows them. I have a neighbor with close to 20 dogs. I'm on 2 acres, they are on a 4000 ft lot. Who is the problem here? But their dogs are inside at night, and my roos were crowing at 2 am. I am looking into having a sound proof rooster box, that I keep him in at night, and only let him out during the day with a no crow collar.

We'll see. Good luck with yours!!!

I'm sorry you are having to get rid of them.  I'm in the same situation.  Simi bans ALL ROOSTERS.  There are no exceptions allowed.  But the next town over - either side of me, allows them.  I have a neighbor with close to 20 dogs.  I'm on 2 acres, they are on a 4000 ft lot.  Who is the problem here?  But their dogs are inside at night, and my roos were crowing at 2 am.  I am looking into having a sound proof rooster box, that I keep him in at night, and only let him out during the day with a no crow collar.  

We'll see.  Good luck with yours!!!

Look up no crow collars homemade with velcrow wire tie things. I hear they help. They sont stop the crowing but they stop the freqency and loudness of them. I plan on doing that plus a roo box as well. I also heard just bringing them in at night and putting them in the garage helps. If the city hasnt sent you a notice you can try right. Mine i waited too long.

Back
Top Bottom