California-Southern

Hi all!!

I'm looking for anyone who lives in Norco, CA. We are looking to possibly move there from Orange County but want to make sure the chicken laws are as good as they are in our current town. I can't seem to find anything and I've called just about every number the city lists. Any residents who can share the regulations with me?
I found a couple of articles.

This is the municipal code:

http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Norco/#!/Norco18/Norco1815.html

In section 18 I found this under single family homes: - allowed uses.

(12) Animal-keeping in terms of animal units as defined in Chapter 18.13 (A-1 Zone), subject to the same setback requirements of that zone but does not include commercial boarding operations, aviaries or apiaries. The minimum lot standards to allow animal-keeping on lots in the R-1 zone are:
(a) Minimum lot size of 10,000 square feet;
(b) Adjacency to a street that contains a public horse trail.
(13) Noncommercial animal-keeping of small animals, not otherwise defined as an animal unit, including mink, chinchilla, and other small farm animals of a similar nature.
(14) Noncommercial keeping of chickens, turkeys, or other fowl (not including roosters).
(15) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, not more than one swine shall be allowed for each 10,000 square feet of property or any multiple thereof; and not more than one miniature pig shall be allowed for each 5,000 square feet of property or any multiple thereof. (Ord. 993 Sec. 1, 2015; Ord. 969 Sec. 1, 2014; Ord. 836 Sec. 17, 2005; Ord. 818, 2004; Ord. 497 Sec. 8, 1983; Ord. 471 Sec. 7, 1982; Ord. 306 Sec. 6, 1974; Ord. 277 Sec. 2, 1974)
I found this article about roosters:
http://www.pe.com/articles/city-627596-roosters-planning.html

It seems that Norco's laws are much nicer than the laws in my town.... Good luck with your move!

I found a couple of articles. This is the municipal code: http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Norco/#!/Norco18/Norco1815.html In section 18 I found this under single family homes: - allowed uses.
(12) Animal-keeping in terms of animal units as defined in Chapter [COLOR=1263BE]18.13 (A-1 Zone), subject to the same setback requirements of that zone but does not include commercial boarding operations, aviaries or apiaries. The minimum lot standards to allow animal-keeping on lots in the R-1 zone are:[/COLOR]
(13) Noncommercial animal-keeping of small animals, not otherwise defined as an animal unit, including mink, chinchilla, and other small farm animals of a similar nature.
(14) Noncommercial keeping of http://chickens , turkeys, or other fowl (not including roosters).
(15) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, not more than one swine shall be allowed for each 10,000 square feet of property or any multiple thereof; and not more than one miniature pig shall be allowed for each 5,000 square feet of property or any multiple thereof. (Ord. 993 Sec. 1, 2015; Ord. 969 Sec. 1, 2014; Ord. 836 Sec. 17, 2005; Ord. 818, 2004; Ord. 497 Sec. 8, 1983; Ord. 471 Sec. 7, 1982; Ord. 306 Sec. 6, 1974; Ord. 277 Sec. 2, 1974)

It seems that Norco's laws are much nicer than the laws in my town.... Good luck with your move!
MOST EGGSCELLENT FIND! I started looking last night but it was after midnight and the brain just wasn't working so good..... ;) Jurupa Valley is pretty much the same, BUT I live on a corner lot with chicken keeping neighbors SO.....whats a few more roosters? (I have 17) BUT they are banties SO according to Chicken Math its a 5-1 ratio so I only really have 3.4 roosters! Its as simple as that! :lau :gig

MOST EGGSCELLENT FIND! I started looking last night but it was after midnight and the brain just wasn't working so good..... ;)

Jurupa Valley is pretty much the same, BUT I live on a corner lot with chicken keeping neighbors SO.....whats a few more roosters? (I have 17) BUT they are banties SO according to Chicken Math its a 5-1 ratio so I only really have 3.4 roosters! Its as simple as that! :lau :gig

p.s. I just looked at the code, NOW I KNOW why I could not find it! Never expected it to be under houses! :clap

I found a couple of articles. This is the municipal code: http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Norco/#!/Norco18/Norco1815.html In section 18 I found this under single family homes: - allowed uses.
(12) Animal-keeping in terms of animal units as defined in Chapter [COLOR=1263BE]18.13 (A-1 Zone), subject to the same setback requirements of that zone but does not include commercial boarding operations, aviaries or apiaries. The minimum lot standards to allow animal-keeping on lots in the R-1 zone are:[/COLOR]
(14) Noncommercial keeping of http://chickens , turkeys, or other fowl (not including roosters).

You are amazing!! Thank you, and yes I was looking everywhere on this site and my brain just about exploded haha! Thank you for finding this. So besides roosters, there is no real official number of maximum hens you can have, huh? Or am I reading that wrong? Again, thank you!!

Last edited:
p.s. I just looked at the code, NOW I KNOW why I could not find it! Never expected it to be under houses! :clap

Ditto! I just kept going in circles! Luckly someone had enough sense to figure it out lol
1f606.png

Ditto! I just kept going in circles! Luckly someone had enough sense to figure it out lol
1f606.png
Thank you!! - I really just typed "chicken" in the search feature. Then I clicked through the results. I look for this type of stuff (tax related) for my job, so I cheated a bit. For me it's because my city is SO ANAL about chickens. Roosters are banned, and you have to have the correct zoning for chickens. I have 2 acres, but I"m not zoned for them. We had a girl in 4-H fought the city to allow 4-H members to have up to 6 chickens - as long as they have at least a 5K foot lot. I signed my daughter up for 4-H, and now I have 6 chickens (maybe QUITE a few more - but who is counting?).

p.s. I just looked at the code, NOW I KNOW why I could not find it! Never expected it to be under houses!
clap.gif
I definitely read the Norco zoning laws to have no restrictions on the amount of chickens - there was a separate section for commercial growers. If you get too many birds and start processing them there, and selling them - you might run into some trouble. But if you stay under the radar, you're good. I love your rooster/bantam math!! Good luck!!

Thank you!! - I really just typed "chicken" in the search feature.  Then I clicked through the results.  I look for this type of stuff (tax related) for my job, so I cheated a bit.  For me it's because my city is SO ANAL about chickens.  Roosters are banned, and you have to have the correct zoning for chickens.  I have 2 acres, but I"m not zoned for them.  We had a girl in 4-H fought the city to allow 4-H members to have up to 6 chickens - as long as they have at least a 5K foot lot.  I signed my daughter up for 4-H, and now I have 6 chickens (maybe QUITE a few more - but who is counting?).  

I definitely read the Norco zoning laws to have no restrictions on the amount of chickens - there was a separate section for commercial growers.  If you get too many birds and start processing them there, and selling them - you might run into some trouble.  But if you stay under the radar, you're good.  I love your rooster/bantam math!!  Good luck!!

NOW this is THE NUMBER ONE ITEM YOU HAVE TO CHECK UP ON; the neighbors on either side of the house.... o THEY have birds Do they mind birds.. More problems have been started just because of this, truth!

And check noise ordinances. I'm allowed chickens and roosters but... Only if they don't make ANY noise between 10pm and 7am. Yeah, right. Additionally, there's a separate statement for ROOSTER noise. At any time of day, if it's over a certain decibel reading (Which is set super low) anyone is allowed to complain. Three separate complaints = $$ fine and no more rooster.

And check noise ordinances. I'm allowed chickens and roosters but... Only if they don't make ANY noise between 10pm and 7am. Yeah, right. Additionally, there's a separate statement for ROOSTER noise. At any time of day, if it's over a certain decibel reading (Which is set super low) anyone is allowed to complain. Three separate complaints = $$ fine and no more rooster.

This is for San Diego county. The exception is if you register the property as a farm. If I get any more complaints, I'll have to do that.

This is honest to gods truth: in Norco there is NO noise ordinance...AMAZING YES!

Back
Top Bottom