California-Southern

AND who wouldn't want to visit a silkie farm?!
big_smile.png

I'm afraid to visit Amber Waves because I know I'll come home with a bird or two and I have some on order already!

No seramas but I am in LA.. you know one of those people that so badly want to be on a farm that I have chickens a block away from the main "hip" strip with restraunts and bars and hipsters..

If its any consolations I had to wait till I was 63 before I could "buy the farm" SO am enjoying the farm life finally.

At least in LA you actually can have chickens, they are SO lenient on that :thumbsup

No seramas but I am in LA.. you know one of those people that so badly want to be on a farm that I have chickens a block away from the main "hip" strip with restraunts and bars and hipsters..

It seems in populations of mostly hispanic or asian origins chickens are found in urban and suburban neighborhoods alike. We chuckle everytime we drive through our neighborhood and hear the crow of a little bantam somewhere coming from a backyard (in an area that is not zoned for roos) and we just love it. Even some of the independent garden/landscape businesses around us have little bantam flocks wandering through the foliage. The cemetery 5 blocks away has a large fenced area with a pond, trees, ducks, muscovies, and swans where the public often comes by to feed them through the fence. As long as neighbors don't complain, and none of my neighbors ever do, it is safe to assume you won't get complaints to disband a flock. A couple city communities away from us the city had to ban backyard chickens and limit the amount of dogs per family because of the rampant cock fights and illegal dog fights. It's the abuse of animals in that way that gives city officials the go-ahead to start banning the innocence of our backyard hobby flocks. I happen to live in an area where 5 chickens are allowed, a visit to our post office you can always hear shipped chicks cheeping or a cockerel or two crowing in the back rooms waiting for customer pickup, but sometimes I think our city not very prudent when it comes to allowing fireworks when our State has declared drought for the last 5 years. If we ever would move I would most certainly research an area that allowed livestock before I'd move.

Just called my local 4H office and got the same message (well, a different person, same reason.) about being on leave. I sent an email, and I believe I will get a response from that.

Yes apparently he's been on leave but has just returned. My family friend was able to connect us finally and we have joined the Yorba Linda club. If you're in that area, I can help connect you. If not, keep calling, the guy should be back at work now.

Back
Top Bottom