California-Southern

The feed stores here buy from Meyer, Cackle and Belt. One a little further away buys from Ideal and further still one buys from Privett.

Dealing with a case of double-bumblefoot on one poor little faverolle. Her feathered feet disguised the issue for a while. I think soaking her and cleaning her up tonight has cured me of succumbing to any impulse buys!
___________________________________________________________________________________________
I bought a Privett chick from Wes's Pets and Feed in El Monte. Cute little Dominique but she didn't live past 3 weeks. Some chicks make it and some don't. She was a darling little personality

I'm so sorry about the Bumblefoot issue! Poor Favie baby! I never had to deal w/ it yet but I bookmarked an article on treatment for whatever it's worth?:
http://ouroneacrefarm.com/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/

Right here on BYC are two of the BESTEST articles on fealing with Bumblefoot >>>> AND>>>> they work! :ya

Oh yeah! Been scraping the deepest corners of BYC to make sure I've read everything. She's out with the others right now. I cleaned out one foot last night. Tonight will be the other one plus a resoak/bandage of the first one. Ugh! Poor girl. But yeah, totally cured of wanting chicks for a bit. LOL

___________________________________________________________________________________________ I bought a Privett chick from Wes's Pets and Feed in El Monte. Cute little Dominique but she didn't live past 3 weeks. Some chicks make it and some don't. She was a darling little personality I'm so sorry about the Bumblefoot issue! Poor Favie baby! I never had to deal w/ it yet but I bookmarked an article on treatment for whatever it's worth?: http://ouroneacrefarm.com/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/
The tricideneo treatment works for if you find it early, I think. But if it's past the point where hard kernals have formed inside the foot then it's slice n dice time :-/ left foot was ok and easy. Right foot is going to be a learning adventure :( If they got Dominiques from Cackle near me, I'll let you know! I met a Dominique only once and she was a little love bug :)

The tricideneo treatment works for if you find it early, I think. But if it's past the point where hard kernals have formed inside the foot then it's slice n dice time :-/ left foot was ok and easy. Right foot is going to be a learning adventure
sad.png

If they got Dominiques from Cackle near me, I'll let you know! I met a Dominique only once and she was a little love bug
smile.png

What I liked about the tric treatment article was that it was very thorough and very detailed from what tric is and what stages of Bumblefoot it works for and how not to mix it with other treatments.
A lot of breeders w/ large flocks become self-veterinarians and know how to do many chicken treatments and Bumble is one of them. A friend of mine who rescues ex-batts & roos even has a treatment for Mareks that she says works. I don't know, I'm not that predisposed to being my own veterinarian, but a lot of these home breeders are pretty knowledgeable.

Thx for letting me know when/ if your store gets Cackle Doms!

What I liked about the tric treatment article was that it was very thorough and very detailed from what tric is and what stages of Bumblefoot it works for and how not to mix it with other treatments.
A lot of breeders w/ large flocks become self-veterinarians and know how to do many chicken treatments and Bumble is one of them.  A friend of mine who rescues ex-batts & roos even has a treatment for Mareks that she says works.  I don't know, I'm not that predisposed to being my own veterinarian, but a lot of these home breeders are pretty knowledgeable.

Thx for letting me know when/ if your store gets Cackle Doms!

Any way you can get your friend in touch with @Leihamarie? She's dealing with Mystery Ailment with her birds right now. Plus she's lost birds to Marek's so she knows it's on her property.

Back to spreading composted horse manure. Yum yum! The birds are digging it. Literally. :-/

Any way you can get your friend in touch with @Leihamarie? She's dealing with Mystery Ailment with her birds right now. Plus she's lost birds to Marek's so she knows it's on her property.

Back to spreading composted horse manure. Yum yum! The birds are digging it. Literally. :-/

Chickens are so funny - any dirt we dump or dig while gardening is open invitation to "help" us gardening!

Most birds have been exposed to a lot of latent viruses like Marek's, Mycoplasma G & S, respiratory CRD viruses, even AI in it's un-mutated form but hardy healthy birds have good immune systems to fight off succumbing to any of the symptoms of these viruses. I have one Silkie that is predisposed to CRD issues yet the other birds don't display symtoms. We've beefed up her immunity w/ supplemental nutrients and vitamins plus monitor her closely during inclement weather which seems to bring on the symptoms. So far this year she has been issue-free. I lost 2 birds in the last 6 yrs to Marek's -- one was shipped to me by a breeder w/ the juvenile bird already infected and vet had to put her down, a 2-mo chick shipped to me was already infected and died w/Marek's yet her sister was fine and lived healthy up to 3-yrs until heat stress compromised her immunity and she got Marek's symptoms and was put down - the vet who worked in the poultry industry said milder cases the birds can recover so he doesn't euthanize birds immediately - and every time I leave his office he stresses to give vitamins to all the chickens. All my flock has been exposed to one kind of virus or another so I have to assume they are carriers but have been healthy from our vet's diligence to keep them that way. I researched a few years ago that 95-98% of USA backyard flocks are CRD/MG/MS carriers but never exhibit symptoms because of hardy immune systems. That's why I will extra-supplement chickens w/ Poly-Vi-Sol no-iron vitamin drop to brooding, injured, molting, or ill chickens to supplement during times of compromised immune systems.

I supplement w/ a lot of nutrients like very very very trace dusting of Selenium, Brewer's Yeast, Bee Pollen, Rooster Booster vitamins into cooked organic brown rice, children's no-iron Poly-Vi-Sol drop on the side of the beak 2 to 3x week for brooding, ill, injured, molting birds, I use natural Selenium foods like Spinach, Blueberries, etc. Plus offer different types of feed like organic Scratch & Peck layer no gmo/no soy/no corn, organic layer pellets, rolled oats, 3-grain scratch, wild bird seed, raw sunflower seeds (winter) and fresh or canned corn (more in winter). Calcium Carbonite as well as Oyster Shell at-will. We offer cut-up dark salad greens, cantaloupe, grapes, raisins, mealworms, cooked or canned meats (no onions), etc, and they openly forage for bugs and worms in the yard.

As for the acquaintance who claims she has a Marek's treatment, I will have to contact her since she does not post on BYC - she once said she's too busy with her farm to be on social medias and I don't always hear back from her immediately when I text her. She also treats Bumblefoot and does surgeries herself. A real self-made flock vet. She does have a vet for issues she can't handle herself or to obtain the proper diagnoses or medicines prescribed - otherwise she does it all herself.

Last edited:

My recovering Salmon Faverolle, Chamois and her friend Mabel, a Speckled Sussex having an indoor adventure today. Mabel volunteered to stay with Chamois, very cute. Not so cute - they've each taken turns pooping on all the furniture, broke into the pantry and ate a bunch of Goldfish crackers and pulled the buttons off the tv remote. Yay, chickens! :D

Chamois gets so stressed that less handling is probably better for her, so I'm just going to soak her feet in Epsom salt baths and make sure she has plenty of good protein (minus the goldfish cracker incident), vitamins, clean water and is away from the ... Ambitious rooster. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom