California-Southern

San Diego native here, but live in the "suburbs" of San Diego, Temecula!
welcome-byc.gif

Enough room to use a long handled tool in the run has made my life easier.

Speaking from experience, that is a must! my first coop was a pain in butt when it came to raking. I eventually got to the point where I had cut my rake in half to make my life easier.

Our first little coop was only 4 feet tall and only 4x6 floor/pen space so no large tools would fit. So we invested in a child's sturdy rake from Home Depot plus a couple plastic child's toy rakes and they worked great inside our little coop/pen.

We had a nice wide dust pan for collecting raked debris and a handled metal pail for hauling the debris to the compost bin. Did it for 5 years before getting our new bigger/taller coop.

P.S. I don't recommend the flimsy chicken poultry wire but this coop already came ready-made. Hardware cloth would've been better because we almost lost our chickens to stray dogs that mauled the flimsy wire beyond repair.

Last edited:
3 Stall coop i build for about $50 and only took about 1.5hours... Need to add nesting boxes... no roof needed because it will be under a big tree, and my chickens like sleeping in the rain for some reason.

Another weekend project.. a little more "built-in" to the side of my hill.

I'm Brannon I'm located in Murrieta,CA. I'm looking for someone local to acquire some fertile New Hampshire /Rhode Island eggs. Thx!
welcome-byc.gif

Check out your nearest feed stores because Spring is when the feed stores order chicks for sale and RIR's are a popular seller at feed stores. Sorry I can't help you w/ hatching eggs though
sad.png

3 Stall coop i build for about $50 and only took about 1.5hours... Need to add nesting boxes... no roof needed because it will be under a big tree, and my chickens like sleeping in the rain for some reason.

Another weekend project.. a little more "built-in" to the side of my hill.

Nice job figuring how to use a slope to build on! I love to see wasted space used to excellent use. It probably still wouldn't hurt to tarp the roof if you get a heavy rain because wet birds can chill on a windy night and wet nestbox material can get moldy.

Back
Top Bottom