California-Southern

I got my other hens from D2D, but I want an olive Egger, bcm, or other colorful eggs. I found a couple of people on Craigslist...I could use any referrals you all may have. Looks like I will need to drive out to Norco, Phelan, or another place an hours drive away. I'm in northwest OC, but willing to drive to a reputable breeder.

I usually have started stock and chicks. Mostly Cream Legbars and olive eggers, some barnyard mixes.

Hope you find what you are looking for (catching up on the thread).

The ones in the smaller cages get out at least once a week. I have some larger "resort" pens I setup so they can stretch out, dust bathe and meet some hens. I rotate each day so they all get a turn. Depending on the rooster I also let them free range.

I also grow barley grass for them since they cant get out every day to get their greens.

That is awesome! And sprouting tender grasses are a great hit with chickens! Again, gorgeous birds!

I wish I could keep them all free range, but the roosters fight and the wife/neighbors get mad because they make mess pooping on patios and making all kinds of noise.

Yep, chickens poop like every 15 minutes. We let ours take cover on our back porches during the rainy season and we're still scraping and washing off poop off the concrete. It will all eventually clean up but by then it'll be rainy season again
lol.png
to allow the chickens to take cover under the porches again!

The porch concrete was relatively clean when the chickens first took shelter from the rain.

I set up a pop-up canopy as shade and protection over a raised dust bath box but it isn't much help during rain because the wind blows the water all over underneath the canopy. Still, the canopy is nice for shade during our brutal summers.

Yep, chickens poop like every 15 minutes. We let ours take cover on our back porches during the rainy season and we're still scraping and washing off poop off the concrete. It will all eventually clean up but by then it'll be rainy season again
lol.png
to allow the chickens to take cover under the porches again!

The porch concrete was relatively clean when the chickens first took shelter from the rain.

I set up a pop-up canopy as shade and protection over a raised dust bath box but it isn't much help during rain because the wind blows the water all over underneath the canopy. Still, the canopy is nice for shade during our brutal summers.

Nice. You could probably lower the canopy.... High up works good for humans but the chickens dont need it that high.. it would probably stop side-ways rain from getting in and allow for more shade.

Nice. You could probably lower the canopy.... High up works good for humans but the chickens dont need it that high.. it would probably stop side-ways rain from getting in and allow for more shade.

I would love to keep the canopy lower except it's where we dole out treats and spend time with the chickens under the canopy. It's my only travel access back and forth in their section of the yard so had to keep the canopy taller. I had placed the canopy (legs about 6 inches below ground to prevent parasailing in wind) to use the legs as poles to secure the rabbit fence that separates the people side of the yard from the chicken side of the yard. I had grandiose ideas of putting up fancy garden panels to divide the yard but decided it wasn't worth the cost and the chickens already respect the 28-inch rabbit fence barrier without my having to spend more money on dividing the yard. The Silkies can't fly over the rabbit fence, and the younger large fowl do what the older Silkies do. I made sure to get large fowl breeds less prone to adventurous flight. I had hoped this larger canopy would be good for protection from rain and it works well during lighter rain -- but if we get a gully-washer rain like this past season, nothing stays dry!!!

The rain came down so hard the chickens ran into the kitchen from the porch the storm scared them so much

Our front yard turned into a swimming pool

My garden bed got totally destroyed -- you can see the rain pouring down and splashing on the paver stones -- haven't seen rain like this in 6 years

There are some great auctions in the 24 hour auction page for TJChickens eggs. Beautiful bantams and pheasants! I currently have 21 of 24 eggs of theirs close to hatch day!

Also, I just sold some chickens to someone local, they said they have Muscovy females, but they are looking for a Muscovy roo. Any suggestions on where they should look?

Thanks!!

Great. Just learned that squirrels can attack and kill/severely infect grown fowl. Two different people on two different San Diego Facebook groups just posted morbid stories.

I'm going to not sleep worrying about yet another thing that will kill chickens! Dang!

Back
Top Bottom