California-Southern

Here's a conversation I found.

Deanna
No. They need a meal type bedding since they eat it

Elias I have raised them before in soiled chicken bedding with great success ! I switched to mealworms which to me are less messy

Jayson BSF Can be kept in straight food waste. They eat it and then crawl off and pupate.
Leigh Food waste is best - you can mix coconut hull fibre in with it. Makes the frass nice and loamy. Dry coconut fibre can also be used for the container the larvae crawl into to pupate.
Jayson If you raise them in chicken litter don't feed them back to your birds.

Annie They naturally appear in my compost bin
1f642.png
:) I look forward to them every year..

When I see them, I dump all the chx litter/poop I want! They till it & eat/break it right up.. & no smell !...See More

Tanya Ok, I am dumb-founded! What are pet soldier fliesand what do they feed or do? Would love to know

Annie Mine are no more pets than the maggots the magically appear to dispose of rotting fresh/meat/waste in my compost bin..

In my case. It kitchen scraps, & endless chx poop/litter

Tanya I still don't know what a soldier fly is though?

Sheri A soldier fly is a blackfly that looks like a wasp, but dorsnt sting or have a mouth. They only live a few days, long enough to mate and die. They lay their eggs in decomposing matter. It can be compost, dung, or even meat. The larva is a large maggot...See More

Annie S b/c they eat poop/rotting flesh.. How can you assure that, that rotting flesh isn't in turn eaten by your animal, in my case, chicken?

Sheri Good question! A soldier flycomposter is an enclosed container with a ramp inside it. When they're ready to leave and join the adult fly world, they climb up the ramp. At the top of the ramp is a cliff that they fall off of into a container that may be enclosed for harvesting or open so the chickens harvest them.

Annie but how does it mate & return to bin to start the process again

Sheri Schmeckpeper It morphs into a fly, mates, and then the female heads back into the composter to lay eggs. There are little holes in the composter to allow for aeration and female fly access.
Naomi I was not serious about the 'pet' part,
1f609.png
;)
Thanks everyone for your help!
Annie I was gonna say... Those thing FLY & what they eat, STINKS & I rather have them outside.

LOVE them, but from afar
1f642.png
:). They are amazing & look forward to them every year....See More

Naomi We will have them in the yard. The idea with the sawdust is to soak up the wet and keep odors down a bit. It wasn't for food.

This SoCal Thread looks rather inactive! Anyone still out there in SoCal? I have had many flocks throughout my life, and now am beginning again, very small this time. I just got three chicks today: black australorp, buff orpington, and an olive egger. I live in Riverside and it is hot here. . . have a VERY secure coop where I would like to let my little girls roam soon. . . what is the minimum age to let them live outside (with a heat lamp of course. . .the nights are cool still).
yay! hello so cal. may be we are inactive because everyone has probably melted from the heat!!! lol. i was wondering how hot it is out there in riverside. today in the basin its 114. as far as putting ur babies out, i ve been told as long as there is heat available they should be ok. as for the heat... i dont know. good luck! have a cooler weekend!

118 yesterday, 111 today!!! Yesterday I agonized over keeping the chicks cool, but today I got started early with a fan pointed at the ceiling for indirect air flow, which kept the temp where they are at about 90. This along with cool fresh water seems to be keeping them comfortable enough.Good luck to everyone out there trying to "keep their cool"

Hi guys! I know this isn't the most active thread, but I'm checking in just in case someone is in need of a white silkie roo, about 12 weeks old?
Just did his first crow this past weekend (yelling at the heat, I'm sure!) and heard it again this morning. Since roosters are a no-no for us, we have to find him a new home quick.
I am in East Anaheim right in the border of Orange. He's free to a good home - any takers?

Hi So cal people! This was issued today regarding Newcastle Disease :( let's hope affected areas and owners follow to protect everyone...so sad!:( sorry...tried to attach the actual notice but couldn't do resorted to cut and paste.

NOTICE OF REQUIRED ACTION PURSUANT TO QUARANTINE
Owner: Owners of poultry species (including chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, partridges, pheasants, quail, guinea fowl, peafowl
(peacocks), doves, pigeons, grouse, swans, and ratites) within the designated disease control areas described, including, but not
limited to, hobby and pet poultry owners, feed stores or other retail stores with live poultry, and commercial poultry facilities.
Address: Designated Disease Control Areas in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties:
1. Muscoy area circumscribed by Institution Road from Cajon Wash to Interstate 215; from that point, south on Interstate 215 to
Highway 210; from there, west on Highway 210 to the Lytle Creek Floodway; and then northwest along the Lytle Creek Floodway
and then Cajon Wash to its approximate intersection with Institution Road.
2. Bloomington area circumscribed by Interstate 10 going east from Sierra Ave. to South Riverside Ave.; then south on South
Riverside Ave. to Agua Mansa Road; then southwest on Agua Mansa Road to the San Bernardino county line; then north and then
west along the county line to Sierra Ave; and then north on Sierra Ave. to Interstate 10.
3. Fontana area circumscribed by East Foothill Blvd. from Cherry Ave. to Alder Ave.; then south on Alder Ave. straight to Highway
10; then west on Interstate 10 to Cherry Ave.; and then north on Cherry Ave. to East Foothill Blvd.
4. Mira Loma area circumscribed on the north by Bellegrave Ave. from Wineville Ave. east to Van Buren Blvd., then south on Van
Buren to the Santa Ana River; the river forms the southern border going west to Wineville, then north on Wineville to Bellegrave.
You are hereby notified that the State Veterinarian has imposed a Quarantine pursuant to Food and
You are hereby notified that the State Veterinarian has imposed a Quarantine pursuant to Food and Agricultural
Code, Section 9562 on the following population of animals and animal products:
Description of Population of Animals and Animal Products: Poultry species (including chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, partridges,
pheasants, quail, guinea fowl, peafowl (peacocks), doves, pigeons, grouse, swans, and ratites), poultry products including eggs,
manure/fertilizer, and used equipment or other items that could be contaminated due to exposure to poultry or poultry manure.
Present Location: In those areas of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties as described above.
Reason for Quarantine: This Quarantine is imposed because the population of animals and animal products described above may be infected
with virulent Newcastle disease virus (VND) or may have been exposed to VND and can transmit an illness that could kill or seriously
damage other birds, or may be at risk for such exposure.
Required Action: Pursuant to California Food and Agricultural Code Section 9562 and Title 3, California Code of Regulations, Section 1301 et
seq., require the following:
▪ Hold the population of animals and animal products described above on the premises where it is now located.
▪ Segregate and Isolate the population of animals and animal products described above from other animals or products no later than:
5:00 PM on July 10, 2018.
• The method of isolation shall be confinement to one premises in a pen, cage or other means that prevents poultry from
moving off the premises.
• No poultry or hatching eggs shall be moved onto the premises and no poultry, poultry products, used poultry equipment or
other items that could spread disease due to contact with poultry or poultry manure shall be moved off the premises until this
quarantine is rescinded or revised; or unless the owner has signed a compliance agreement with the California Department of
Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and such movement is made using a CDFA or United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
movement permit.
• All owners shall immediately report any clinical signs suggestive of VND (described on CDFA website at
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/newcastle_disease_info.html) and any unexpected decreases in egg production
or increase in mortality (above expected rate for strain and age) by phone to the sick bird hot line at (866) 922-2473 or
California State Veterinarian at (916) 900-5000.
▪ Euthanize and Dispose of the population of poultry that cannot be isolated as described above. Due to the high risk of exposure to VND in
the above designated disease control areas, CDFA or USDA will assist with euthanasia if poultry are free roaming and not isolated as
described by 5:00 PM on July 11, 2018.
The California State Veterinarian may modify the action(s) required in this Notice. Failure to comply with this Notice of Required Action is a violation
of Title 3, California Code of Regulations, Section 1301.8 and will result in the Department of Food and Agriculture pursuing appropriate remedies,
including but not limited to law enforcement involvement, and may interfere with your receiving indemnity payments to which you might be entitled.
Notice issued by: Title: California State Veterinarian Date: July 9, 2018 Time: 6:00 AM

Attachments

• V_N_D_SB_Riverside_Area_Quarantine.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can anyone direct me to some reputable hatcheries? I’m in Glendora and lost 2 of my chickens during that horrible heat day we had. Despite fans, misters, ice blocks, cold watermelon and fresh water, they just couldn’t handle the heat. I’m looking to raise 2 chicks and would like a heat tolerant friendly breed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom