California-Southern

I have been dreading the moment... but I have to re-home my ducks. I live in the city (San Diego) and the quacking has become a problem. Before getting ducks, I really tried to do my research about which breeds to get in order to have a couple mellow backyard birds. And believe it or not, some folks in the BYB thread actually said that ducks are quieter than chickens. But I need to re-home my girls. The quacking has gotten worse the more they age. It's all day, every day. We've tried everything to appease them and keep them happy. The quacking may even be a happy greeting but it's getting too loud, too much. My husband is not happy. The new neighbors are not happy.
I have never given up on an animal before, so this feels really terrible. I hope to find them a home with a loving, responsible Back Yard Bird family with lots of space so they can quack all they want. I will drive anywhere in Southern California to deliver them to a good home. They are 3 yrs and 4 months old. The Pekin is "Quackasaurus" and the Swedish Blue is "Platypus". They are overall healthy, the Pekin has some large permanent bumbles on her feet, which she grew when she was young and her favorite place to stand was on the edge of some bricks. The bumbles never open or crack and it doesn't seem to cause her much trouble. Please let me know if you or someone you know would be a good fit for my sweet girls.

Hello All! New backyard chicken keeper here in Lancaster, CA. We are just outside of LA! Unfortunately, Newcastle has hit a few areas around us BUT I would love to meet some nearby chicken friends/breeders after the epidemic is over.

Hello All! New backyard chicken keeper here in Lancaster, CA. We are just outside of LA! Unfortunately, Newcastle has hit a few areas around us BUT I would love to meet some nearby chicken friends/breeders after the epidemic is over.

A couple weeks ago when I saw my vet for one of my hens, he said (at that date) he knew of 3 reported cases of Newcastles in the SGV and for me not to import any new chickens onto the property. I know some online breeders stopped shipping birds cross-country at least as far back as May of this year because of the Newcastles threat. Last couple years it was the Avian Influenza threat and this year seems Newcastles has reared its ugly head again!

From Santa Barbara here. Im Getting Chickens Soon. Currently trying to hatch quail but they dont look to good.

I love birds, all birds, even funny African buzzards! But having chickens for the last almost 8 yrs I've discovered how very hardy yet sometimes how very fragile birds can be! Poultry have so many viruses going against them for which there are no vaccinations. Unfortunately the poultry industries consider poultry expendable and don't spend the resources to develop vaccines. Because after eradicating infected flocks, they can hatch a whole new flock of chicks in 21 days to restock their industry with fresh new birds so why spend the resources to develop vaccines? If dogs and cats weren't such money-makers for veterinarians vaccines probably never would've been developed for them either.
Hope your quail do a little better!

Back
Top Bottom