CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Glad you showed up and identified yourself. Now if my old brain will remember. LOL

Wanted to remind everyone, since the thread seems to be slowing down way to much. Post #5000 wi;; be the winner of a GF membership,
yippiechickie.gif
so let's get friendly in here.
big_smile.png

I'm seeing some unusual behavior in a pair of 9 week old Dorking cockerels. They are fighting. I know a little posturing & sparring behavior is normal. These two are actually fighting until they are both bloody and falling down from exhaustion. I've never seen aggressiveness like this in chicks that were not mature enough for breeding.
Te first time that I found them going at it, I separated them for the day. I figured that would be the end of it. Then I found them going at it again. Their heads & combs were bleeding and they were so tired that they were knocking each other off their feet.
One of them is already a cull, great size on him, but has sprigs on his comb. I was going to raise him up for the freezer but now he's got to go.

wow, Ive never had juvies get vicious. I have one lavender silkie roo that is aggressive to non flock cockerels. The little grow outs sometimes jump into silkie land instead of out to free range and get whomped. I'm debating what to do about him, because its good he keeps extra boys out, but i don't have any lavender girls and he is small. I have to do something about 4-5 silkie boys soon....

I've had that problem with 2 juvies when they just didn't have enough space from each other. They were fine after I let them out in the back yard. They' d find opposite areas and were to tired to fight by time to roost. Hope these 2 work it out. I don't know what else to suggest. Sounds like the testosterone level at your place is high. Good on one hand bad on the other. Sorry they're doing this. Hope someone else has some ideas for you.

Due to some problems I'm having, I won't be hatching many eggs this month, so I'll have lots for sale. I'll post a lit later, so take a look when I do.
big_smile.png

Due to some problems I'm having, I won't be hatching many eggs this month, so I'll have lots for sale. I'll post a lit later, so take a look when I do.
big_smile.png

if only you were closer, I hatched out 6 maran last month and it looks like a 5:1 ratio, boys to girl. It was bound to happen, my ameraucanas were coming out 2:3 last couple of hatches

I have an egg eater in my Marans pen. I think it's more than one. They get 30% Gamebird crumbles added to their feed, free feed oyster shell and free feed grit. I have ceramic eggs in there with them and still finding shells smashed all over the pen. Driving me crazy.

I have an egg eater in my Marans pen. I think it's more than one. They get 30% Gamebird crumbles added to their feed, free feed oyster shell and free feed grit. I have ceramic eggs in there with them and still finding shells smashed all over the pen. Driving me crazy.

I heard and egg shell filled with mustard works

Back
Top Bottom