Call duck - Male attacking me

ChilliDuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Hi, first post for me here.

We have 2 white call ducks who are now both 5 months old. 1 male, 1 female. We have had them since they were 3 days old. Over the last few weeks the male has started to attack me at any given opportunity. When I go to feed them in the morning, he's waiting for me at the door and as soon as i put my hand into their pen he launches at my hand. He also try to attack my feet when ever I let him out (only when my back is turned and I'm walking away)..

I'm not particularly bothered by this, but I'm wondering if its normal behavior? (these are my first ducks)

Charlie

Last edited:
Glad you decided to post with us
frow.gif

I've had drakes show this behavior before. Once they charge I pick them up for a few minutes and refuse to let them down. After a few days most of the drakes stopped the behavior.

Yesterday I was working in the pen the ducks and chickens stay in at night. I feel this tugging on my sock I had on black ankle socks with white k Swiss. I pushed him away and he kept coming back and then grabbed my shoe laces. This went on for about an hr off and on. I would pick him up tell him no and swat him back. He has never done this before. I guess my socks and shoes offended him. Lol :)

My sweet little Gizmo, a mostly indoor duck, turned into quite the biter. Hands and feet were always free game to him. You'd never dare walk around him without shoes on. There were many times where he'd leave bruises or even break the skin. He had plenty of girl ducks to mount (which he did do), but he desperately wanted to mate with my husband and me.

People told me that sometimes males grow out of it, but in my case, it had been over a year. It wasn't until recently that I've become consistent with the way I treat this problem. He's so much better now.

I've read this many times on this forum and it actually works (for the most part). When Gizmo bites me, I push down on his back so he can't move (but not enough to hurt him of course). I do this for FIVE minutes -- never less than that. When I let go of him, he always looks at me as if he's asking, "We're alright with each other, right?"

I have done the same thing as Kevin with our drake. I don't know why, it just seemed the right thing to do when he started getting smart with me, worked like a charm.

What exactly do you mean "pushed down on his back?" My male Indian Runner, Nancy (yeah, I was hoping he was a girl, ha) is such a biter! And if I put my hand on his back he would just attack my hand. Sometimes I kind of sit on the floor with him and lock him between my legs so he can't move. Would this be kind of the same thing?

mean ducks and chickens either get sold or go into a stew pot. i have young kids (2 being my youngest) so i dont put up with mean animals of any type.

But a mean Call duck is pretty hilarious! About the only thing that could be funnier is a mouse shaking a fist-shaped paw at you!

I also have a very aggressive drake, "Chocula"...you can guess that he is aptly named, he has been a biter since he was barely out of his fuzz...but he is an excellent breeder as many aggressive male Calls are and he is very non-aggressive toward other ducks, even in a bachelor pen. But he will even take on a broom.

I've gotten a few good snaps out of him but he has a lot of character and some really nice babies on the ground, so he'll be sticking around...

What exactly do you mean "pushed down on his back?" My male Indian Runner, Nancy (yeah, I was hoping he was a girl, ha) is such a biter! And if I put my hand on his back he would just attack my hand. Sometimes I kind of sit on the floor with him and lock him between my legs so he can't move. Would this be kind of the same thing?
I hold Gizmo down onto the ground, using both hands, making sure that he can't wiggle. I have to position him so he can't turn his head and bite me. Sometimes one hand holds his head/neck down, too.

You obviously don't want to hurt your duck.

You need to do this for 5 minutes. I've tried fewer minutes, and for some reason it doesn't affect them.

Basically naughty duck/chickens need to realize you are top bird in your flock not him. That is where the holding down or picking them up and carrying them around comes in. That is what the top bird does to any others in their flock. I have watched my top Roo jump on/mount the other Roo and hold them down till the other gives in and runs away. This is how they keep the order in their flock and that's how we need to do it to not get flogged by mean naughty Roos and Drakes. I do admit my Roo's usually get the stew pot as I have just a barn yard flock and dont take the time to try to retrain them. Seems I always seem to have more young Roos ready to take their place.

Back
Top Bottom