Call duck thread! For posting pics and discussing!

My call ducks are 4 weeks old, what feed should they be on? They are currently on starter crum. Sorry if it sound like a stupid question, I'm a newbie to ducks

My call ducks are 4 weeks old, what feed should they be on? They are currently on starter crum. Sorry if it sound like a stupid question, I'm a newbie to ducks

You could try a grower pellet, depends some calls can manage that pellet at 4wks others cannot... an all flock/flock raiser is good too. My calls with the exception of the young ones are all on grower.

When do Calls start becoming more independent? Wobbles turned 2 weeks yesterday. I don't expect the "alarm peeps" to stop anytime soon but I would like a ballpark estimate of when I can look forward to going to the bathroom without feeling guilty or hearing her cry for mama!

When do Calls start becoming more independent? Wobbles turned 2 weeks yesterday. I don't expect the "alarm peeps" to stop anytime soon but I would like a ballpark estimate of when I can look forward to going to the bathroom without feeling guilty or hearing her cry for mama!

LOL frankly i have found calls to be the most needy of any duck i have personally raised. Is it alone? that will only increase the problem. I have 4 in my house right now.. 3 are imprinted i can leave them now in their 'brooder' without much fuss.. outside ? they need a sitter or will cry and cry and cry...

They are under 1mth old.

LOL frankly i have found calls to be the most needy of any duck i have personally raised. Is it alone? that will only increase the problem. I have 4 in my house right now.. 3 are imprinted i can leave them now in their 'brooder' without much fuss.. outside ? they need a sitter or will cry and cry and cry...

They are under 1mth old.

Yes, she's alone but she is a house duck and has constant human interaction. She just turned 2 weeks and yet she's still so tiny...only about as big as a mallard duckling at 1 week. That's normal for her breed since she's show-quality. I hope to one day either show her or make her a good therapy animal, whichever she seems more comfortable with. I've learned very quickly that when you have a house duck, they tend to make all the rules, not you!

Prairie Fleur, Call ducks do not have to be caged but it is a good idea. They are good flyers. A lot of people have call ducks that are free range and do not have a problem with them flying away. I have a few pet quality calls that are free range and they will fly sometimes, but never fly away.If you get calls, you definitely want to cage them for a while before you let them free range. Call ducks are great little birds to have on a farm. Hope this helps!

Prairie Fleur, Call ducks do not have to be caged but it is a good idea. They are good flyers. A lot of people have call ducks that are free range and do not have a problem with them flying away. I have a few pet quality calls that are free range and they will fly sometimes, but never fly away.If you get calls, you definitely want to cage them for a while before you let them free range. Call ducks are great little birds to have on a farm. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That does help. They'd be a little like peafowl in that after they realize where their dinner comes from they'll stay around. :D what are they like temperament wise? Do they forage well? We have an absolutely horribly grasshopper and bug problem.:(

Your Welcome! Calls are very good temperament wise. They are all pretty mellow and friendly. Calls seem to forage pretty well and love to forage in green grass. I also know that people like calls to help with bugs in their garden so they could help with your bug problem
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom