Call Duck

Do you breed them? Any chance I can buy a duckling from you next Spring? <3
I do breed them. They are called harlequins (I call them mini anconas) :)
I do sell ducklings and hatching eggs but do not ship ducklings (especially just one). But what I could do is raise one until it's fully feathered and then ship it. I did that for a girl in Washington this year. She had a single call duck hatch so bought one from me. I raised it until she was fully feathered and could travel ok alone.

This is one of my favorite drakes from this years hatch :) His bill is a little longer than what I am breeding for but he's just too gorgeous for me to sell!

And some of the ladies. Same issue, long-ish bills, but I've got some very small, short billed white drakes I'll pen them with in the spring to help correct that in the offspring.
The black pied male on the far left is for sale if anyone's looking! He's very sweet

This is one of my favorite drakes from this years hatch :) His bill is a little longer than what I am breeding for but he's just too gorgeous for me to sell!

And some of the ladies. Same issue, long-ish bills, but I've got some very small, short billed white drakes I'll pen them with in the spring to help correct that in the offspring.
The black pied male on the far left is for sale if anyone's looking! He's very sweet

they are so darn cute! i wish you didn't live in an entirely different country, i'd love some different ones to my flock lol

they are so darn cute! i wish you didn't live in an entirely different country, i'd love some different ones to my flock lol
Eggs are a possibility! I am NPIP certified and theres actually a group of people here in maine and in Canada working on what it takes to cross eggs, ducklings, and adult birds over the border. I know eggs are the easiest at this point in time.
How far are you from the maine border? Or any border for that matter? I could always ship them to a PO near the border where you could pick them up and cross them there. Just a thought :)

Eggs are a possibility! I am NPIP certified and theres actually a group of people here in maine and in Canada working on what it takes to cross eggs, ducklings, and adult birds over the border. I know eggs are the easiest at this point in time.
How far are you from the maine border? Or any border for that matter? I could always ship them to a PO near the border where you could pick them up and cross them there. Just a thought :)

an enabler i see lol

Pretty far, i am not near a border town at all.. hours... and i lack an incubator well short of live ones, i hatched all my calls this year using my females. Now i do keep silkies and cochin i think broodiness with them is a disease but i am not sure how i feel about chickens raising ducks especially calls being they adore water at such a young age...

Very tempting offer though.
wink.png

an enabler i see lol

Pretty far, i am not near a border town at all.. hours... and i lack an incubator well short of live ones, i hatched all my calls this year using my females. Now i do keep silkies and cochin i think broodiness with them is a disease but i am not sure how i feel about chickens raising ducks especially calls being they adore water at such a young age...

Very tempting offer though.
wink.png
Yes, because you can never have too many call ducks ;)

That's funny, I had 2 marans hens that went broody for me this year so used them to hatch some calls and muscovy. But I am now raising silkies to use as broodies next year because EVERYONE said they are hatching machines!

I let my hens raise keep the ducklings for a week or two, in a coop so no one would wander off. They definitely don't keep as close a watch as the muscovy hens do.

Yes, because you can never have too many call ducks ;)

That's funny, I had 2 marans hens that went broody for me this year so used them to hatch some calls and muscovy. But I am now raising silkies to use as broodies next year because EVERYONE said they are hatching machines!

I let my hens raise keep the ducklings for a week or two, in a coop so no one would wander off. They definitely don't keep as close a watch as the muscovy hens do.

They are insane so be prepared! they do not act broody and if you forget an egg, oops their off! er.. or on. I had one sneak a clutch in a few weeks ago on us, we accidentally left eggs with her and well rest is history. My one silkie hen went broody again, she only just laid the flippin' egg! they are non stop, Cochin are just as bad btw, the banties i have one who has gone off in that pen too.

Basically like broody Muscovy in small fluffy bodies.

Good to hear experiences with hens raising ducklings, i have none in that area.

Last edited:
They are insane so be prepared! they do not act broody and if you forget an egg, oops their off! er.. or on. I had one sneak a clutch in a few weeks ago on us, we accidentally left eggs with her and well rest is history. My one silkie hen went broody again, she only just laid the flippin' egg! they are non stop, Cochin are just as bad btw, the banties i have one who has gone off in that pen too.

Basically like broody Muscovy in small fluffy bodies.

Good to hear experiences with hens raising ducklings, i have none in that area.
I may have to try some cochins too then! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom