Call ducks came today!

I also bought eggs from Kooymans farm off ebay a couple weeks ago and I'm currently on day 17 of incubation. I got 14 eggs and most of them were not fertile. I only had four develop anything and two of them were quitters! I have two left that are moving around inside their eggs. I'm not putting the seller down or anything, I would happily buy from her again, just definitely don't expect too many to hatch. But you could also be really lucky and get mostly fertile eggs, right?
big_smile.png
Good luck with your hatch!

Eyes I candles them before I put them into the bator. Only 2 had detached air cells. I can't tell the fertility yet and will have to candle at day 7 to let you know fertility wise

I also bought eggs from Kooymans farm off ebay a couple weeks ago and I'm currently on day 17 of incubation. I got 14 eggs and most of them were not fertile. I only had four develop anything and two of them were quitters! I have two left that are moving around inside their eggs. I'm not putting the seller down or anything, I would happily buy from her again, just definitely don't expect too many to hatch. But you could also be really lucky and get mostly fertile eggs, right? :D  Good luck with your hatch!

That's the problem with season birds laying this time of the year. Mating tends to be low and males less active as it's not "in season". Some of my geese are laying right now and I have eggs incubating (too soon to test fertility) but it's usually 50% or so this time of the year compared to spring

Well, I decided to take a chance and ordered some of these, mostly just so we can get experience with artificial incubation since we've never done it before. I'll be okay with it if even 1-2 of the eggs hatch since we'll almost certainly be giving away whatever hatches, not keeping any of them long-term. That wouldn't make up for the $40 they cost, but I figure the experience will be valuable for when we have hatching eggs from our own Calls next spring/summer.

Wish us luck!!!
frow.gif

It is extremely windy here tonight, afraid I might lose power and lose all my hatching eggs in the incubator. And recommendations for a power outage on how to keep eggs warm?!?!

It is extremely windy here tonight, afraid I might lose power and lose all my hatching eggs in the incubator. And recommendations for a power outage on how to keep eggs warm?!?!

Are you in the Northwest? Cuz we're having one heck of a windstorm here, too!

If your power goes out, don't open the incubator! Wrap it in some towels or thick blankets to help insulate and keep in the heat. That should be okay for an hour or two. If the power's off longer than that I'm not too sure, other than getting a power generator or some chemically activated heat packs. I keep a supply of "hit hands" for that purpose, they last about 8 hours.

That's the problem with season birds laying this time of the year. Mating tends to be low and males less active as it's not "in season". Some of my geese are laying right now and I have eggs incubating (too soon to test fertility) but it's usually 50% or so this time of the year compared to spring

Low? mine haven't in months lol.. of coarse my temps have been a yo-yo and we have had killing frosts(dipped below freezing) i am surprised anyone has any laying but maybe where you are so your seasonal temps play a role, mine laid up a storm when they were in full swing but again no one resumed laying after all the young were hatched.

Back
Top Bottom