Call ducks hatching early?

MamaLiss

Songster
6 Years
May 19, 2017
Hello community!

I'm on day 22 of incubating Call duck eggs. Humidity has been kept between 40-50%, temperature steady, and automatic turner engaged.

Today when I candelled the eggs, I noticed one airsac has grown substantially within the last 2 days (see my pencil marks) and it looks as if the duckling is pushing on the membrane?

What do you recommend if the other airsacs are still quite small in comparison? Lock down or wait?

Attachments

• 20230601_075014.jpg
    20230601_075014.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230601_075110.jpg
    20230601_075110.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello community!

I'm on day 22 of incubating Call duck eggs. Humidity has been kept between 40-50%, temperature steady, and automatic turner engaged.

Today when I candelled the eggs, I noticed one airsac has grown substantially within the last 2 days (see my pencil marks) and it looks as if the duckling is pushing on the membrane?

What do you recommend if the other airsacs are still quite small in comparison? Lock down or wait?
I haven’t done calls but when I have this with my regular ducks I do partial lock down
The eggs that show signs I stop turning
I continue to turn the others by hand and I don’t up my humidity until I see my first internal pip then everyone starts lockdown

How long do you recommend leaving them in the incubator after they hatch?
I like to wait till the first one or two are mostly dry, and move the first 2 (or how ever many are ready) to the brooder. If several are hatching, I will move babies whenever there is a lull in the action. They will dry in the brooder too, so it’s just whenever is convenient.
Calls should hatch close to day 26. Do you know what colors yours will be?

I’ve been watching a broody duck for a few days, saw the first empty shell yesterday. She brought them all off the nest today. 5 ducklings, zero eggs leftover!
C33A084E-E609-44AD-B9DA-71BB878FD5A1.jpeg
0BC363F3-8665-428C-9269-1C35943502F5.jpeg

I like to wait till the first one or two are mostly dry, and move the first 2 (or how ever many are ready) to the brooder. If several are hatching, I will move babies whenever there is a lull in the action. They will dry in the brooder too, so it’s just whenever is convenient.
Calls should hatch close to day 26. Do you know what colors yours will be?

I’ve been watching a broody duck for a few days, saw the first empty shell yesterday. She brought them all off the nest today. 5 ducklings, zero eggs leftover!
View attachment 3526026View attachment 3526027
sweet mama looks so proud! Congratulations, they're adorable! Not sure what colour they'll be as I purchased the eggs from a farm nearby. Their females are Silver, Pastel, Snowy and their males are Blue and Snowy.

Came back to check on the eggs this morning, 3/6 are visibly pushing on the membrane but no one has pierced the membrane yet. The eggs are currently at work where I will not have access over the weekend. Based on your expertise, should I risk taking the incubator home? Home is about a 15 minute drive.

Back
Top Bottom