Call Ducks

MisaF

Songster
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Montgomery, NY
Hi all,

I decided to add two call ducks to our flock. We have 8 hens, one female indian runner and one female pekin. The call ducks are only about 2 weeks old now so they are, of course still living inside in the brooder and being spoiled rotten (just like our hens and indian runner were, the pekin was a rescue so she was already 2 when we got her). I wanted hens ever since I was a little girl and then we got ducks and now my heart is full. I cannot imagine life without our two weirdo ducks so I was really excited when I found a local call duck breeder! As soon as I learned about call ducks I knew I needed to add them to our flock.

Do call ducklings and adults have any special needs that I may not be aware of? I want to make sure that caring for them and raising them the same way we raised our indian runner will meet all their needs. They are getting organic duckling feed that has the proper niacin levels for them. Should we keep them on the duckling food for 4 weeks or do they need longer than that? The protein level on the baby food is high so I worry.

Anything special I should know about caring for call ducks and call ducklings?

THANKS!
Melissa

Hi all,

I decided to add two call ducks to our flock. We have 8 hens, one female indian runner and one female pekin. The call ducks are only about 2 weeks old now so they are, of course still living inside in the brooder and being spoiled rotten (just like our hens and indian runner were, the pekin was a rescue so she was already 2 when we got her). I wanted hens ever since I was a little girl and then we got ducks and now my heart is full. I cannot imagine life without our two weirdo ducks so I was really excited when I found a local call duck breeder! As soon as I learned about call ducks I knew I needed to add them to our flock.

Do call ducklings and adults have any special needs that I may not be aware of? I want to make sure that caring for them and raising them the same way we raised our indian runner will meet all their needs. They are getting organic duckling feed that has the proper niacin levels for them. Should we keep them on the duckling food for 4 weeks or do they need longer than that? The protein level on the baby food is high so I worry.

Anything special I should know about caring for call ducks and call ducklings?

THANKS!
Melissa

I am not an expert but I do know calls fly. So you will have to consider clipping wings. I am sure someone else will chime in on the other questions.

I am doing little ducks too. But Black East Indies.

Oh and don’t forget we are all suckers for baby pictures!

Back
Top Bottom