calling any one from missouri

I'm considering leaving my chickens' pop door open over night one night while I'm gone.  I have a heated waterer and a feeder that can hold 50 lbs. so I'm good there.  The thing I'm worried about is predators...there's a fence but not sure if it's enough to protect them overnight since I've always closed the pop door.  Not enough interior space to keep door closed the whole time.  I'll just have to hope for the best.  Chances are they will be fine.  Next door neighbors are elderly and I don't want to have them walking my uneven downhill yard and worry about them getting hurt.

CG

In the future you should get a Automatic door. Best purchase I ever made. I have a pullet shut chicken door.

Chickens were fine while I was gone.

My coop is like at old Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time". The automatic door is on my wish list, but haven't done it yet. Built it last year over the course of several months (like 6). Summer 2013, got it painted. Next summer, may get an automatic door, or electrify the fence ( have wire & yellow holder things but no battery). Also have a second/third coop that has to have the electrical engineering done to it too (even if one door was automatic, I'd still have to walk down to the coops to open the other door). The electric fence might be a little more important...the automatic door is really a luxury. My dad didn't have one. Most of the time, I'm a homebody that doesn't like to travel much so it isn't often an issue.

Gifs, I wouldn't mind hearing more about your solar panel. What size is it, how much wattage does it produce, do you power anything else(like lights inside coop for egg laying or an electric fence) where did you get it, and how much does it cost? We thought about getting a pop door to run off solar power but so far hubby keeps telling me that they are too expensive. I 've invested a lot of money in my coop but that doesn't mean I want to continue throwing money at it.

CG

Hi, I am in California, Mo and just joined. I have Googled looking for answers before and BYC pops as a place to find answers so I thought Id join.

I have One Cochin Bantam Rooster, Coco. 3 Cochin Bantam hens, Honey , Nugget and Cinnamon and and 2 3 month old chicks named Chico and Milli....not sure if they are boys or girls yet.

You can see I also have a German Shepherd named Zeus and a Pit named Dante.

My goodness it's quiet in here! Everyone must be off doing Christmasy things... tis the season!

Welcome SandyDawn, I've been through California once or twice over the years. I'll wave next time.
frow.gif

Sooo... I have a silly question. It's easy enough to tell the difference between cockerels and pullets... just give them time and they'll show you eventually. But what about Guineas?! My Guineas are 6 months old now, same as my youngest chickens and I haven't a clue whether I've got boys or girls or both. I've never had Guineas before and had read that they're difficult to tell apart but criminy! I expected something telltale to present itself. I only have 3. A lavendar, a pearl and a purple.

I should probably just start googling for answers but I figured it's so quiet in here... thought I'd ask.

My goodness it's quiet in here! Everyone must be off doing Christmasy things... tis the season!

Welcome SandyDawn, I've been through California once or twice over the years. I'll wave next time.
frow.gif

Sooo... I have a silly question. It's easy enough to tell the difference between cockerels and pullets... just give them time and they'll show you eventually. But what about Guineas?! My Guineas are 6 months old now, same as my youngest chickens and I haven't a clue whether I've got boys or girls or both. I've never had Guineas before and had read that they're difficult to tell apart but criminy! I expected something telltale to present itself. I only have 3. A lavendar, a pearl and a purple.

I should probably just start googling for answers but I figured it's so quiet in here... thought I'd ask.

Listen to them, the girls make a call that sounds like Buck wheat buck wheat buck wheat

Listen to them, the girls make a call that sounds like Buck wheat buck wheat buck wheat

hmmm... then the lavender is definitely a girl. The other two never talk. I only hear them when something startles them and they all fly back to the coop area, and they just make a loud racket. I can't tell who's doing what when they're all doing it together... and flying. The lavender talks all the time though.

I have guineas and in time you will be able to tell. They have red things on their checks , the males will be much bigger and the helmets and the hens are small and so is the helmets. There a great web sight that will tell you everything you want to know It is a great site. I guess just googled it. I have around 11 now started with 17 but lost some a long the way good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom