calling any one from missouri

welcome-byc.gif

YVW Peanut. I took well stared chicks - like 8 weeks old out of the brooder and others out of a hoop coop with a heat lamp and put them in my grow out pen over the weekend. Obviously they are fully feathered at this point. I did weaken and run a 75 wtt light bulb into the coop - not only to give just a bit of heat but also to attract them INTO the coop as the first night they hadn't figured it out and I had to carry them in. Last nite the lite went in and I STILL had to carry them in tho they were huddled up against the lip of the coop. So after last nites ice/sleet storms I was a bit worried about them ..... Took feed soaked in warm water out to them dreading what I might find - maybe they aren't so dumb after all - they were huddled up still in the coop (they can go in and out at will). They were enthusiastic about the gruel tho. Put it in the coop and they jumped on that like they hadn't eaten for a week! Unfrozen water and feed all in one - no need for them to go out, nice hot breakfast. Get them unfrozen water twice a day, a bit of cracked corn as a nite time snack to keep the bellie fires burning, shelter from drafts and dry - they'll be fine.

While we have fancier breeds that inbreeding has weakened and tend to spoil them, chickens survived just fine before all this fuss. Wild birds don't get all this and there's no shortage of them!

No idea what the roads are like but for those of you that have to go out in this - be safe!

I ALSO GIVE MY BABIES SOME FANCEY SCRATCH EVERY NIGHT. tHEY SEE ME WITH MY LITTLE RED BUCKET AND THE ALL COME RUNNING, THEY EACH KNOW WHICH COOP TO GO INTO.DID NOT LET THEM OUT TODAY. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN THOUGH MY MOM SURE NEVER DID ANY THING TO KEEP THEM WARM, I GUESS I JUST GO A LITTLE OVER BOARD. SO GLAD ALL YOUR BABIES MADE IT OKAY THANK S FOR ALL YOUR HELP HAVE A GOOD NIGHT PEANUT

Back
Top Bottom