calling any one from missouri

I think what I will do is use drinker cups, on the side of 5 gal plastic bucket and set the bucket on concrete block, To keep it off the ground. I will keep a lid on it so very little dirt gets in. How does that sound ? I can't do water hose too many dogs I baby sit for want to chew.

The drinker cups are a good idea. We use a bucket with the nipples on the bottom. However, this will not work in the winter when the water freezes. I have been saving buckets to make new winter time water buckets with the nipples that come off the side. I have not tested the theory as of yet but my plan is to set the bucket in the dog bowl warmers we have to help keep the water from freezing. the side nipples should work without freezing themselves. That is my hope. Once these have past the winter test I will use them year round for my main cages and use the old ones for the meat bird tractors.
Also I agree about the metal water containers they are awful! I was smart enough to borrow one to see if I would like it before buying. I hated the thing it was always empty =( not to mention the thing never stayed level it was always tilted all the way to one side and I watched the hens move in a circle around it to drink.

I think what I will do is use drinker cups, on the side of 5 gal plastic bucket and set the bucket on concrete block, To keep it off the ground. I will keep a lid on it so very little dirt gets in. How does that sound ? I can't do water hose too many dogs I baby sit for want to chew.
That sounds good for most of the year. I really like the drinker cups and so do the chickens. They don't work for cold weather though. I have 2 kinds of drinker cups and 3 kinds of nipples. One cup is easy to clean. It just twists off without losing water and you can wipe it out with a finger or drop them in a bucket of bleach water occasionally.
The all metal vertical nipples I learned the hard way must be used in pipe. I tried them in buckets and occasionally when the chickens would use them they'd push the plunger all the way out and all the water drained out.

The drinker cups are a good idea. We use a bucket with the nipples on the bottom. However, this will not work in the winter when the water freezes. I have been saving buckets to make new winter time water buckets with the nipples that come off the side. I have not tested the theory as of yet but my plan is to set the bucket in the dog bowl warmers we have to help keep the water from freezing. the side nipples should work without freezing themselves. That is my hope. Once these have past the winter test I will use them year round for my main cages and use the old ones for the meat bird tractors.
Also I agree about the metal water containers they are awful! I was smart enough to borrow one to see if I would like it before buying. I hated the thing it was always empty =( not to mention the thing never stayed level it was always tilted all the way to one side and I watched the hens move in a circle around it to drink.

It is a good plan. A bird bath heater should work too.

We always used the galvanized waterers when I was a kid. I never even thought about buying one since.

For buckets, people tell me bakeries give them away.
I get mine from a welsh pub that goes through 5 gallons of pickles about every day or 2. Otherwise they throw the buckets away.

my best waterer is a five gallon bucket (outside the pen) with a pvc tube inside with nipples. the connections are made with a bulkhead fitting from amazon, a washing machine hose and a lot of parts from Lowes. I put a towel over the top of the bucket to keep out dirt, keep it on with bungee. The worst part is the short life of the bungee.

my best waterer is a five gallon bucket (outside the pen) with a pvc tube inside with nipples. the connections are made with a bulkhead fitting from amazon, a washing machine hose and a lot of parts from Lowes. I put a towel over the top of the bucket to keep out dirt, keep it on with bungee. The worst part is the short life of the bungee.

that sounds pretty good... can you show a picture of the set up?

Back
Top Bottom