calling any one from missouri

My son was supposed to be getting transferred to an inpatient PT/OT place today or tomorrow but today we found out that he is too advanced for their inpatient program. 😳 So in the next day or 2 they are discharging him to my house and he will go to a day program PT/OT place.

That's good news he is out of the ICU and making progress. Sounds like he has some challenges coming up. Did he get burned?

JT

We got a light rain all morning.
A couple days ago, I candled my broody hen’s eggs, and they had all quit.
I got 6 bantam Easter eggers this morning. I plan to slip them under the broody tonight. 🤞🏻 She’s been broody about 2 weeks. I don’t know if it will work. We’ll see.
I got them from Heartland Hatchery that has rotating ‘chick days’ at local feed stores in many MO, KS, AR locations. They were in our area today, in Nevada. It was rainy and chilly. I put my chicks in a box with some Hot Hands hand warmers (which were under a washcloth). The outside temp was in the 60’s.
Heartland calls this breed ‘Americana’ and I am guessing from the spelling, it isn’t true ‘Ameraucana.’ Thus I’m assuming they would be Easter Eggers. Which is fine w me, EE’s also have beards and lay colored eggs. I chose all gray chicks, maybe they are all blue/lavender. IMG_4855.jpeg

Last edited:
My broody accepted the chicks that I had slipped under her yesterday evening!!!! The chicks, having been in a brooder all day and reacting with me, still understood exactly what to do, they tucked in under mom who seemed to be very pleased and began talking to them right away. This morning they emerged in the light, and greeted their adoptive mama, everyone is happy….and chatting away….

Last edited:
@OhZark Biddies
My tiger lilies bloomed pretty good this year! They have been bloomed for several days now so they are a little faded.

Tiger lilies!

During that dry spell this spring my “pet” doe ate most of the buds off our Tiger lilles, so most didn’t bloom this year 🙄

But this one did well. It tends to bloom more pale and get darker. I’m guessing because it’s in dappled shade.

789EB3D5-B324-4753-85A9-74245074FCA9.jpeg

In other blooms news, some of the surprise lilies are up, and have been for several days, which seems really early… but I guess they wanted to live up to their name. 😉

288A4B7E-A8A3-4893-A851-91A6A0A92332.jpeg

The birds that don’t know the words have been keeping the trumpet vine a buzz with activity.

01451469-B936-452A-AA1D-87DC45C74EC4.jpeg

2886CBAA-75C9-4A7A-B4AC-5C25F275703D.jpeg

And I saw this interesting wild flower Wednesday evening when Mrs Zark snd I stopped in a little wilderness area to have a picnic. It was new to me, but apparently it’s called Culver’s Root. The bumble bees and flutter flies sure liked it.

5B8A7347-9539-4175-B5AF-2CE27802680A.jpeg

Last edited:
I made a couple of ant blockers for the hummingbird feeders from some copper sheet I had laying around. I made one from a plastic service entrance cover but didn't take a photo of it.

The reese's peanut butter cup wrapper ant blocker.
View attachment 3579042

The flower ant blocker
View attachment 3579043

JT

JT those ant moats are sharp looking!

Our feeders hang from the covered porch ceiling so we don’t get ants in them, but those tiny little black ants have been getting into everything else this year!

Mixed up some of this and it’s been working great
https://thesoccermomblog.com/diy-natural-ant-repellent-spray/

I have several of that exact mason jar feeder and it is my favorite, mostly due to the ease of cleaning ( they look nice too)

But I was looking at the large version of that other one you have online a while back. I liked the large capacity because we go through a gallon a day here, sometimes more.

How easy is it to clean?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom