Cameo vs Purple hens

scootj79

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Roscommon, MI
Is body color of a cameo hen different than a purple hen other than purple hen has purple iridescence on their neck? Both body colors are different than standard india blue hens correct? Been in peafowl for a while and this one is confusing me some... lol

Just got these mature BS hens. Front one has a lot of tan rear is mostly blk. So what color would you all think the front one is?
View attachment 2865611
They are both India Blue, the dominant color in peafowl. The one in front has a white gene that is making it look lighter. The one in back has a touch of Spaulding blood which is making it look darker.

Purple hens are much darker, and yes they some color on their neck, if there is a blue or a green color on their neck then they aren't cameo.

Here are my Purple Black Shoulder (top) and Cameo Split Pied (bottom) a few days after I bought them back in August. They're both Spalding, so they both have green showing up in their necks now.

This was my Cameo from last week at a vet visit. I don't have any close ups of the Purple since they're both not really keen on being handled, but here's some shots at a distance:

From yesterday.

From August.

Sometimes, they do have a similar colour from a distance, but the Cameo is a lot darker and the Purple doesn't have whatever the technical term for the eyeliner patterning is.

Back
Top Bottom