Campine Chicken thread?

Quote:
The black leaking into the white neck feathers, the very closely patterened black on the rest of the body. She looks pretty beefy too, but it is mainly the color that throws me. She should have a solid white head and neck, and her black barring should be very showy and have nice, equal distance between "bars" of color. If you look at some of the Silvers on Feathersite, they're quite ideal examples.
smile.png

Really though - Her main problem is her neck coloration.

Yes i would agree her cape is speckled and she has peppering in her back and tail but in my opinion she is a better type then the golds . The width of her tail feathers are great and a nice tail to go with itshe has a nice big frame ..
Campines are not small chooks. the golds are on the small side but they are very nice birds ...
That silver hen put back to the right cock bird will breed you some awesome chooks but people cull them cause they don't have a nice clean neck ( cape ) and they have some peppering the body .....

If you were breeding from this hen what would you use over her a silver male or a gold male ??

cheers shane

Quote:
You're right. She is, in many ways, the better of the 3 Campines. Type & size appear to be much better & type trumps colour especially in breeders. As the old saying goes "you build the barn before you paint it".

We had a gold campine rooster that was our exotic chick from McMurray. My husband loved him. He ruled the roost for quite awhile despite the presence of a much larger black australorp roo. Then he got a little too cocky so my husband grabbed him and turned him upside down in the presence of the australorp.....bad decision. The australorp ended up killing him. So, I just ordered a few golds and silvers from Sandhill. Has anyone tried sex linking these birds? We are looking forward to having these again. They really are beautiful!

Last edited:
Abigail - 4 weeks old

45467_img_9985.jpg

45467_img_9985-1.jpg

Abigail and her traveling siblings at 2 days old. She's the one on the far right. Sorry for the "red light" effect.
45467_img_6627.jpg

Last edited:
:)Thank you. We have 15 chickens right now. We picked most of them because they were cute chicks. Tiger, which we just identified is a Silver Campine, is sitting on 10+ eggs. She made her nest in our front yard. I had to move her to the coop area. One of our other Banties has started laying eggs in Tiger's nest. We do not have a campine roo. Our roos are buff sillkie, white silke, and as yet an identified breed. The lady at the feed store said it was a wyandotte but I an not sure. We are excited to see what color/kind of babies we get.

Thank you for helping to identify Tiger's breed.

Quote:
wow
ep.gif
I looked at those chicks and would have sworn they were mine when they were babies well almost all except that 1 looks like it might be yellow instead of white and the 1 next to it I got a campine oegb and is your lil grey 1 a brahma? mine was feathers and all. is your campine as flighty as people say mine doesn't seem to be my girls have been pretty well behaved considering so far anyway

Back
Top Bottom