Campine Chicken thread?

Oh, I'm so glad someone started a Campine Thread! I LOVE THIS BREED!
love.gif

I so want to get a whole bunch of them. Too bad my mom said "No More Chickens!" I mean really! I only have 104!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Tuesday,

Those are Abigail's "traveling" siblings. It was a "grab bag" order so I am still guessing on one. I still don't know what my grey one is. The guesses of what Belle is, from other peeps and the hatchery, are a Dark Blue or Black Andalusian or a Blue Splash Maran. Then comes Alice the Speckled Sussex, Wendy Bird the EE, Lady GaGa the White Sultan, and Abigail. Abigail is probably my most stand offish but she will eat out of my hands and crawl into them to use me as a launching pad. She just doesn't want to be cuddled! I am really enjoying her energy!

DAWN

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Oh, I'm so glad someone started a Campine Thread! I LOVE THIS BREED!
love.gif

I so want to get a whole bunch of them. Too bad my mom said "No More Chickens!" I mean really! I only have 104!
tongue.png

Really very unreasonable of your mom. Doesn't she know chicken math? 104 = 1+4 = only 5 chickens!
smile.png

I've been thinking about Campines, too. I'm looking for the right breed to add a few white eggs to my egg basket. I don't know whether I'd want to get into breeding this new breed or not.

How do the Campine hens stack up as layers of white eggs? I'm sure they're not as productive as white leghorns, but they sure are prettier (in my opinion, anyhow)!​

We are really enjoying our campine from Sand Hill. I have both silvers and gold. The gold roo started crowing at 7 weeks! They are precocious little guys. At just a few days old one little silver baby grabbed the end of the wet paper towel I was using to clean the window on their brooder. It pulled and tugged! Really cute little ones. We enjoy their personality, but don't expect them to be lap birds. It is a breed worth having. This is my first time with hens, so don't know how well they lay yet.

I have my first Campine (Golden) and I was wondering if there is any easy way to determine gender on them at 4 weeks. I think she is a girl, small blue feet, lots of feathers, small comb, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

This is Scout 2 days ago - they are 4 weeks today:
60454_8-6scout.jpg

60454_8-8scout.jpg

All my girls are 19 almost 20 weeks now my campine looks like she will be the last egg. although the chicken book I have says they are good layers they seem to be more of an ornamental bird and flighty, its very hard to tell an adult roo from a hen because they dont have very long curved tail feathers saddle and hackle feathers. I have 2 flighty birds the other being an andalusian, and 2 not flighty birds which I think keep the other 2 in line so they don't free range outside my yard. I'm waiting for the pics to come through from my phone to post a pic.

Quote:
Looks like a hen so far, but give it a few weeks to be sure. A hen's comb will stay smaller and lighter. I guess I better take some pics to post from comparison. I'll see what I can do.

is Silver Campine still a rare breed of chicken ? what color are their legs should be?
my pair Silver Campine have greenish blue color leggs?

53159_pict0060.jpg

add more pics

53159_pict0056.jpg

male

53159_pict0039.jpg

female

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom