Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
she has a single comb red earlobes and green legs, I guess she has something else in her campine genes, I got all my birds from the feed store which gets their birds from hatcheries, I got them for eggs not quality of bird but now I feel I need to get some bigger egg layers lol . because these little eggs don't last very long.
sharol I have only got the 1 campine pullet, I think mine had like little pale nobly comb when she was 11 weeks maybe not sure but those saddle feathers on yours are very pointy, the saddle feathers on mine are very round the breed has a very upright tail that has nothing to do with it.

I thought I had read somewhere that Campines were hen feathered. Doesn't that mean that the saddle feathers are rounder? Hers are rounded at the tip (I'll try to get a better picture, but that bird just doesn't stand still a moment). The saddle feathers are really distinct though. I looked at the silver back a few posts, and it is pretty obvious.

I'm waiting for a crow. No chance for eggs for a couple of months at least.

Quote:

Thanks for the input. How do you tell gender with Campines? what do you look for?

She is so different than the other breeds in so many ways. I love watching her, she takes off and flies and then the others follow her. She is constantly moving and is a very efficiend scratcher. I guess from my reading that those are typical traits of the Campines as a breed.

Quote:

#1 sign- comb and wattles
All of my Campine roos start having very pronounced comb and wattle development around 3-4 weeks of age. I have some 3 week old chicks right now that there is no question about the sex. My 3 week old roos have larger and redder combs than your 10 week old. I'll try to get some pics and post them in the next day or two when the rain lets up.

#2 sign- roo behavior
In general, Campine roos mature a little earlier. At 10 weeks, most would be sparring and trying to crow.

These are some hatchery quality Silvers that I culled back in the summer. I think they were somewhere in the 10-12 week range when I took the pics.
19748_frizzle_011.jpg

19748_frizzle_012.jpg

Quote:
Yesterday I set out nests for my Golden Campines (I have 19 of them). Some in the run, some in a coop. Then you got me thinking and I just realized they are only about 3 months old!!!

lau.gif

I was just so excited since my older girls have been laying recently!

Jane,

In my experience with Campines, the pullets are not very fast developers. I have some Campine pullets that are 23 weeks old and they don't even look close to laying. Their combs have just started to grow and turn a little pink. But their back ends have not filled out and their pelvic bones are still not spread apart. I'm afraid they may not start for awhile since the days are quickly getting shorter. I've had them do this before (development slow down) in the fall and then not start laying until the end of February or early March. But once they start laying in the Spring, they rarely miss a day.

Man, what a shame! The egg guy at our downtown farmer's market was telling me what early developers his were, but then he seems SUPER loopy, so I wanted to check on here. The comb on mine is not very well-developed yet, but he made it sound like it was going to grow and the pullet would be ready in the next 2-4 weeks.
sad.png
so disappointed . . . . . But glad I have this resource and all the nice folks willing to share their knowledge on here to turn to!

Back
Top Bottom