Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Steve Gould is in Mass. He does sell some eggs. I think I'll send him a link to this thread. He is a very busy guy being a director for the Dutch Bantam society and the president of the Northeastern Poultry Congress which is the largest show in the Northeastern US, plus working extra long hours at work. I don't know him personally, but was in contact via email. Maybe he'll contact join BYC, if not a member already
smile.png

I have to say, I love my Golden Campine, Abigail. She has such a great personality and she actually "plays" with my white boxer, Mogul. They look for each other when I go outside. If I throw bread out, they will eat next to each other. They will wonder around outside together and they tease each other. They will chase each other back and forth. I got to get a video of this. It's a riot!

There are a couple of pictures of Silver Campine chicks on FeatherSite with a caption that suggests that Silver Campines can be sexed at birth by their markings/color.

Has anyone found this to be true?

Wow, it does suggest that, with the lighter feathering being a pullet. I did not notice that with the ones I raised this summer, but I wasn't looking either. I had both gold and silver chicks, straight run. I had to look closely to tell the golds and silvers apart in a mixed group. One could sex-link campines using a gold over silver. That being said, male campines develop combs and waddles quickly and crow earlier than other breeds, so you don't really have to wait that long to figure it out. I had campine cockrels crowing at 7-8 weeks old, and even without that, it was easy to see who was who. Even with birds bred to be sexed by color/markings, like my California greys, it can be hard to tell on some of them, at least for a novice like me.

Last edited:
Just found this thread and found it very informative about Campines! I was a little worried my chick is looking a little roo like but the girls do have some large combs!! She is the smallest chick in my brooder right now, I have some smaller friends coming for her next week (felt bad that she was the smallest). So here is a pic on my Piney!!

78308_gc31wk.jpg

Great to find this thread - I asked on the What Breed or Gender thread about our GC Gwen, who just recently I thought might be a roo due to her comb coming in (she's 4 weeks, 5 days old in this pic). What do you guys think? The pics on Pg. 8 for the 5 week old GC Roo has me feeling a bit better that our pullet is actually a she. Absolutely no signs in terms of her behavior to make me think boy, just the comb...

197757_605861417051_35002133_34672401_2432487_n.jpg

189099_605860763361_35002133_34672380_645355_n.jpg

For reference, here she is at 8 days earlier (3 weeks, 4 days old):

183565_604727798831_35002133_34654814_4304874_n.jpg

Last edited:
It's a cockeral campines are very easy to sex by 4 to 5 weeks of age the males will have a much bigger comb then the girls.

cheers buffleghorn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom