Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

I've gotten two mutant eggs from the same hen in two days - apparently she's been double laying, but they are fusing before she lays them, so she's laying mega eggs. 79 and 81 grams each from a hen whose normal egg size is 57-60 grams. OUCH!!!
sickbyc.gif

During the last 48 hours I have gotten 13 eggs from 6 hens all hard shelled perfect eggs and my birds seem happy can laying this much make them sick?

I know your all going to think I'm crazy!!! My poor chickens were attacked the night before last by a raccoon. My silkies were both beat up,but are doing much better. My ONLY EE (Charlotte) didnt lay yesterday, but I figured she was in shock. Well this afternoon we found 3 blue eggs on the rocks. The girls lay there eggs in the nesting boxes, never on the rocks. Has anyone ever gotten 3 eggs in one day. Is that healthy for her? 2 out of the 3 were perfect the 3rd was broken (not soft). How the heck did she do this!!!

Today Charlotte layed another egg. That's 4 eggs in two days! Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

Last edited:
hello,
after reading everyone's post i figured i'd give my two cents.
I have an Aracauna who has over reactive ovaries which bloat her abdomen and I have to have her drained every once in a while. Because of this she lays two eggs a day, a regular hard shell egg in the morning/afternoon, and a soft shell egg in the evening....
she is one of my slowest hens and it's probably because she lays so many eggs.

Back
Top Bottom