Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

No, I free range my chickens but from what I can figure out from study it is a case of too much chicken feed. Not sure why.

We have had absolutely no problems with weak shells. We have oyster shell supplements available for the girls to feed on as they wish. Either the double yolked eggs or the two eggs a day. None of the shells were weak. Sorry to destroy your scientific research. This might apply to caged hens.

Is this a seasonal bonus?

My Leghorn laid two eggs today. The first one was cracked. I found her just sitting there on top of it and shooed her out of the nesting box after I realized she was just sitting. Did she crack it after she laid it? Then an hour or so later she laid another egg, this time it was perfect. I'm wondering if the extended daylight of summer might play into getting two eggs in one day. I live in NC and darkness falls around 9:00 pm in late June.

By the way, I cooked the first egg and fed it to her with the shell. She has daily access to oyster shells.

I had one hen a reproduction red and she laid 3 eggs one day and when I cracked them they were all double yolkers sometimes they will lay more than one egg a day because in their ovaries more than one egg is ready

Also, may add from same source, many of the eggs may have weak or no shell. A hen can normally only put shell on a single egg per day properly, as the shell gland only holds one egg at a time and it takes about 20 hours to apply the shell. When two eggs are laid on a single day, one usually will have ovulated a few hours before the other and is already becoming calcified when the second egg arrives in the shell gland. The point where the two eggs contact is usually poorly calcified and both eggs show a flat side. Both eggs would be unsettable due to poor shell quality, as they would dehydrate too much during incubation.
My leg horn laid 2 eggs 12hrs apart. Shells were fine. With prolific layers that is not uncommon but I have heard it can be the result of hormones in the food. My hens don't get added hormones though. If over eating was the culprit then wouldn't heavy women be more likely to have twins. I don't think so. Most research is quoted by statistics not written in stone, just like the age a pullet starts to lay can vary greatly even within the same flock.

Today I got 4 eggs from 2 chickens between the hours of 8am to 6pm. I have NO IDEA how this has happened! It's amazing!
They are ISA Browns, about 7-8months old. They were all hard shelled, the same size (still smallish since they are young).
Can anyone explain this and why I had 2 chickens on the same day? I've had multiple eggs before, but only from one chicken at a time.

I have two hens, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and both are 8 months of age.

Bette has been laying x2 eggs a day for about a month now.

I have more eggs than I can eat so friends and co-workers will be getting fresh eggs over this Solstice holiday.

I am down to 2 silkies. One is definitely a pullet and the other I believe to be a cockerel based upon his large comb (although he has crowed yet). However, I am regularly getting 2 eggs a day--hard shelled, each contains a single yolk (as always) with the second egg slightly lighter and smaller than the first laid (I check for eggs in the morning and again at night). So either my silkie pullet is extremely productive or my cockerel is really a girl?

I am down to 2 silkies. One is definitely a pullet and the other I believe to be a cockerel based upon his large comb (although he has crowed yet). However, I am regularly getting 2 eggs a day--hard shelled, each contains a single yolk (as always) with the second egg slightly lighter and smaller than the first laid (I check for eggs in the morning and again at night). So either my silkie pullet is extremely productive or my cockerel is really a girl?

Never mind. The cockerel was actually a hen. Oops!

I just got 2 extra eggs from my Easter Eggers. Its easy to figure out what breed chicken is laying since of the 23 girls I have 4 Easter Eggers. This has never happened . (They have only been laying since November) And all 6 eggs are the same size and hard shell.

Back
Top Bottom