Can a coop be "too big?"

I wish I would have had more room. I only had room for the 8X10, but I also have two pens that are 4X10 X 4.5high.

Now that all my birds are healthy I've got to say goodbye to some of them.

Quote:
Go big and forget warmth. Not a concern in lower 48 states for the most part. Well ventilated way above roost ht and dry with clean litter is the ticket. Use a poop board under roosts and clean daily .
sickbyc.gif
This will keep litter fresh and you will go a lot longer time before having to change it out. I have 23 chooks in an 8x16 and use the poop boards and scrape daily.
sickbyc.gif
I only need to change llitter once a year. I do add a little topping of grass clippings or hay or pine needles every 3 months or so.

I fortunately live on a farm where there is an old chicken coop, maybe 20 by 50 with the last 10 feet a broken down side of the coop. For my birthday last year I was given 7 chickens, two roosters and 20 quail by my husband (that was November). I now have much more and all 4 sections of the good side of the barn are full with plans to repair the broken side for the chicks that are coming in two weeks.

Big is never big enough!

Quote:
I actually have an Idea of turning an old mobil home into a coop/personal hatchery as they are really cheap around here. As low as a $100 + moving cost. They are already wired for lights and have plumbing Plus have rooms for seperate pens/storage. I think it could work, opinions?

I built mine 10X20 and now have 32 happy occupants with some room for more. I have the center open for food storage and a shelf. I did it that way so I would actually have two separated coop areas. With several roosters (two big) and 4 bantam roos it helps keep the peace. Every one has their favorite roosts and usually some of the girls will change sides when they are fed up with one roo or the other. 8 Bantam hens and getting more and 15 standard hens and 3 giant hens. Being in the south I made mine 10 ft high in the front and 8 ft. in the back. This allows for good ventilation in the hot summers with an attic fan mounted on the front of the coop. I think this year I will add a second. Even in 100+ degree weather last year in never topped 87 (highest temp). The ceiling at 8 ft is covered with fence wire with an area I can open up. (critter proofing) this winter I put up heavy gauge plastic ON TOP of the wire. No way for accidents happening if it was stapled under the wire where it could fall on the chickens. We have had some 20s here and with heat lamps it never freezes in the coop. The coop was built on skids so it can be moved if need be and I added a porch so they can be out when its raining and hang out if they want. It is also built on separate skids so it can be unscrewed from the front wall and moved independently of the coop.
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/DCINSC/condo%20cabin%20coop/
I
agree, go as big as you can afford.

For Rittert3,
Make sure you check on local laws to see if it can be used after moving. I know in SC if it is older than 7 years it can not be set up and used on property. Also not sure how hot it gets there but trailers get pretty hot in this weather here in SC. Maybe some big attic fans to keep the ventilation going and heat down.

Back
Top Bottom