Can adult Polish eat from my homemade feeder?

HotDesertChick

Songster
7 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Southern New Mexico
Can the crested breeds eat from my feeder? The "Chutes/openings" are 3" PVC plumbing street elbows. The opening of the PVC chutes are 1" from the floor of the bucket. All of my present chix, Black Marans, Welsummers, and D'Anver tiny bantams eat O.K. from the openings (bantams have a "boost block" on one side of the bucket). I am hoping this same system will work fine for Polish, as there is zero feed spillage/waste. Will Polish hens destroy their crests using the feeder??

Pics of feeder follow, hopefully.....:p

Attachments

• 7.ChikF.png
    7.ChikF.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 9.ChikF.png
    9.ChikF.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 10.ChikF.png
    10.ChikF.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 11
Your Polish will not destroy their crests. I have Polish hens. They may hesitate to use the feeder. You may have to train and stick their heads into the elbows. Do the training with treat seeds or scratch.
Knowing that your chickens do come with hairdoos, I would have opted for 4 inch elbows. In another thread a while ago, I recall suggesting 4 inch size for their roosters with large combs. You may also need to trim off the female part of elbow that is outside of bucket. It will allow easier reach for the chickens necks to get to feed. I realize that squeezing 3 elbows (4") into a bucket bottom may pose a challenge. You most likely could get by with 2.
ETA. I looked closer at the elbows, and see how you did it. You still can shorten the outside part if you think it needs to be.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,, :highfive:

Last edited:
Thanks, Cavemanrich for your good comments. As I want to stay with a 5-gallon-bucket feeder inside my coop, I likely could only put two 4 inch elbows into one bucket. Wouldn't the small bantams hop right inside the "chutes" (They would love that!)?? Don't know if a "two-hole feeder" would be enough for 14 D'Anvers and about 25 large girls...?? Would have to buy a 4" hole saw to cut neat holes in the bucket?

Make it and play it by ear. You may have to train them girls to reach in.
Your banties would not crawl, or fall into a 4 inch elbow.:gig
If you do decide that you need more feeder capacity, then make the second one a 4 inch 2 hole version. No need to go buying a second hole saw. Just cut out 3 inch opening which you already have tool. Then use a sharp utility knife and enlarge. Other option which I am capable of doing since I tinkered in plastics. Make the 3 inch opening. If you have a heat gun, or small propane torch, heat the edges of opening. Be careful to keep moving heat source to not burn bucket.(looks unpro). When plastic on bucket is soft, just squeeze in your elbow. You are only enlarging by 1/2 inch around.

Back
Top Bottom