Can anyone tell me what Ameraucana breed is this and the gender?

Thanks. Now I understand the differences when I saw the puff of feathers/hairs straightening (looks like it) out of both the cheeks. But there's black feathers on the head. Is that normal?
You're welcome! Yeppers, that's completely normal!
smile.png
EEs can be almost any color imaginable, so that includes black feathers on the head.

~Alex

EEs are basically, like I said, mixes with some or a little Ameraucana blood in there.
False.
Easter Eggers are the foundation of the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds. The recognized Ameraucana and the recognized Araucana have been bred to a specific set of traits called a breed standard. Easter Eggers do not have Ameraucana in them. It's the other way around. Easter Eggers are the originals, just completely unrefined. The Easter Eggers have not been bred towards any common goal. That is why you never can be sure of just what you will be getting. You will most likely get blue or green eggs, but there is always a chance of white, cream, pink, or brown.

Last edited:
False.
Easter Eggers are the foundation of the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds. The recognized Ameraucana and the recognized Araucana have been bred to a specific set of traits called a breed standard. Easter Eggers do not have Ameraucana in them. It's the other way around. Easter Eggers are the originals, just completely unrefined. The Easter Eggers have not been bred towards any common goal. That is why you never can be sure of just what you will be getting. You will most likely get blue or green eggs, but there is always a chance of white, cream, pink, or brown.

Oh dear, thank you for correcting me! The last thing I want to do is mislead anyone, so your expert information is much appreciated.
263a.png

~Alex

Also, please see photos of the recognized Ameraucana colors as per the standard of perfection at http://www.ameraucana.org/photos.html

And be aware that any bird, even one coming out of two pure Ameraucana parents who does NOT meet the standard either in color or in egg color, or for any other reaso, CANNOT be called a true Ameraucana and must be referred to as an Easter-Egger. So some EEs come from mixing Amer.s with other breeds producing green eggers or just mixes that usually lay something with color which may include legbars or any blue egg breed that may not include any Amer. genes, and some are basically pure Amer.s that just didn't meet the breed standard.

Ultimately "EE" is a very broad definition.

But I do have a question.....I've always read and heard that true Ameraucanas were derived from Araucanas brought in from Chile. How is this the case if Ameraucanas come from EEs? I'd just like to know.

~Alex
It all started with the original stock that was imported into the U.S. in the early part of the 1900s. Those birds were called Araucana, and nicknamed Easter Eggers. They were what most people call Easter Eggers these days. A group of breeders started to breed their birds towards specific goals. They got their birds recognized as the Araucana we know today. The birds that didn't meet the new standard became known as Ameraucana. Another group of breeders began breeding their birds towards a different set of traits, and finally got their birds recognized as the Ameraucana breed we have today. Hatcheries have not updated their breeding practices or changed their marketing to reflect the changes that have occurred over the years. They are still breeding birds that are descended from the originally imported birds, with no specific selection for specific traits.
With the increased popularity of backyard chicken keeping, there are now a lot of hobbyists that have obtained true Ameraucana, Araucana, and Legbars and have cross bred them to make their own Easter Eggers. These birds are mixed breeds, but some consider them to be Easter Eggers if they have a blue eggshell gene.

It all started with the original stock that was imported into the U.S. in the early part of the 1900s. Those birds were called Araucana, and nicknamed Easter Eggers. They were what most people call Easter Eggers these days. A group of breeders started to breed their birds towards specific goals. They got their birds recognized as the Araucana we know today. The birds that didn't meet the new standard became known as Ameraucana. Another group of breeders began breeding their birds towards a different set of traits, and finally got their birds recognized as the Ameraucana breed we have today. Hatcheries have not updated their breeding practices or changed their marketing to reflect the changes that have occurred over the years. They are still breeding birds that are descended from the originally imported birds, with no specific selection for specific traits.
With the increased popularity of backyard chicken keeping, there are now a lot of hobbyists that have obtained true Ameraucana, Araucana, and Legbars and have cross bred them to make their own Easter Eggers. These birds are mixed breeds, but some consider them to be Easter Eggers if they have a blue eggshell gene.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the whole breed background for me.
smile.png
I really appreciate it!

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom