Can Baby Chicks Eat Things Like Strawberries?

I'm very new to it all, but my chicks really enjoy smashed hard boiled eggs. For 23 chicks I started with 1 egg a day. They are almost 3 weeks old now and they have worked up to 4 eggs a day. Every other day I mix a dallop of plain yogurt with it. I keep a dish of grit available all the time. And I treat myself to offering them pieces of bread, which they takes turns pecking at from my hands. When I open the brooder they are happy and very eager to explore my hands. If they find nothing, a couple will snuggle down and try to nap there.

Thank you all for your wonderful help with this and all the things I have learned from those who have raised chickens. I appreciate it so much!
My chicks are growing fast. I guess the next change I need to make in the diet is when they are 16 weeks old? What if I have some 16 week olds and some 14 week olds in the same coop? Is it ok for the 14 week olds to eat the food for the 16 week olds? How does that work?

Thank you all for your wonderful help with this and all the things I have learned from those who have raised chickens. I appreciate it so much!
My chicks are growing fast. I guess the next change I need to make in the diet is when they are 16 weeks old? What if I have some 16 week olds and some 14 week olds in the same coop? Is it ok for the 14 week olds to eat the food for the 16 week olds? How does that work?

you should feed the "grower" feed until the first egg is laid...then switch to "layer" feed.

Yesterday, I gave our 2-week-old chicks the "waste" from a red bell pepper I had cut up. They ate everything but the hardest part of the stem. This afternoon, I gave them a handful of dandelion greens. They've eaten some, and are currently playing with the rest.

They managed to tip the coffee-can lid I had filled with washed play sand. I'll have to replace that in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom