Can Baby Chicks Eat Things Like Strawberries?

Just put some white button mushrooms and some carrot shreds in the brooder. They seem to be as much toys as they are treats.

Gotta get some more strawberry tops. They devoured them (once they figured out what they were.)

I collect over dozen eggs daily i give dozens away weekly to friends and family and I brag on them praise about there flavor is all the payment I need .
right now I have 33 hatchlings that I feed 5 hard boiled eggs daily good source of protein and they absolutely love them. I will never feed raw eggs or even shells
Don't want any egg eaters. My chicks will be 4 weeks on Thursday I will probably stop eggs in a couple of weeks. I have a new hatch due on April 5 and will continue feeding HB eggs to them. I have added some goodies to my chicken salad red grapes on sale at Kroger $.69 a pound quartered, left over cooked spaghetti no sauce, flax seed high in omega 3 and steel cut oats. They get all excited when they see me coming I moved them to my outside brooder last Sunday
Have a nice day tomorrow
Harry

I have seen people say give them yogurt, cottage cheese and stuff and I have seen people say never give them dairy. Any thoughts on that?

I have seen people say give them yogurt, cottage cheese and stuff and I have seen people say never give them dairy. Any thoughts on that?

Giving your chicks eggs will not "cause" them to eat their own eggs. They may, in the future, eat their own eggs if they are not feed properly. IMO My girls eat cooked eggs and I feed all egg shells back to the chickens...I have never had a chicken eat one of their own raw eggs from a nest.

Read POST #7 here:
@Beekissed is one of the most knowledgeable people I have come across on BYC.

I use to juice last year and just started again this week. Guess what I do with that wonderful pulp apples, kale, carrots, ginger, beets including the tops, celery, grapes and parsley. My 5 week old chicks devourer it like a pack of wolves eating a deer there crops look like they ate a gulf ball.
Have a nice Friday
Harry

​I use to juice last year and just started again this week. Guess what I do with that wonderful pulp apples, kale, carrots, ginger, beets including the tops, celery, grapes and parsley. My 5 week old chicks devourer it like a pack of wolves eating a deer there crops look like they ate a gulf ball. 
Have a nice Friday
​Harry

:lau :lau :lau

Love it!!! :love

I don't know and I could be wrong, but, having raised a bird, I *thought* I remember reading about not giving dairy products to birds, simply because it affects their liver. Maybe it is hard for them to digest. This would be good to research.

I don't know and I could be wrong, but, having raised a bird, I *thought* I remember reading about not giving dairy products to birds, simply because it affects their liver. Maybe it is hard for them to digest. This would be good to research.

I feed yogurt and buttermilk every once in a while, puts probiotics into there gut aids digestion however chicks under 4 weeks have trouble getting it off there beaks.
Just my experiences
have a nice nite
Harry

The last week or so Ive been giving ours the tops off the strawberries. The chicks go crazy for the the leaves. Also been giving them about 1/2 an apple sliced up without the seeds. Just something to keep them busy and they love it.
Do you chop it up? I don’t give my chicks grit, just starter feed.

My chicks keep dumping the grit. And, they prefer sand! Go figure.

Hi everyone Yes I feed my new chicks what I call chicken salad starting at about 1 week old. Greens are really cheap in the grocery store right now probably coming out of Florida I feed them kale,carrots,turnip greens, parsley
alfalfa sprouts and cantaloupe all chopped up very fine they absolutely love it .When they see me lower the paper plate into the brooder they try to jump onto the plate before it hits the floor. it takes them about 3 minuets to clean up both plates. In addition to these greens they get hard boiled eggs every day .There are 33 chicks in the brooder and they also eat 2 quarts of 20% chick starter every day.
I don't remember how fast my chicks grew last year but with this diet I can see tremendous growth they will be 3 weeks tomorrow I will bet they have quadrupled there weight. I think they are very happy chickens

Have a nice morning
Harry
My adult birds LOVE those. It's so nice to make the most of our produce... there's never anything wasted with chickens!
Thank you! Some say don’t feed greens too soon but when they’re with mom, they‘re eating everything she eats! My girls go nuts over anything green. They’re going to love being outside for a bit every day!

Back
Top Bottom