Can cat and dog cages be used for meat rabbits?

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
I am not a crafty person so I cannot DIY building cages, I decided to buy cages for meat rabbits. Currently my rabbits live in the same cage but I know once they are adults, they will kill each other. I think the big cage will go to the first female to breed. I am planning to buy cages for the girls and let the boys live together for now.

Are cat and dog cages good for rabbits?
I saw this cat/miniature dog cages in a shopping site for just 10 US dollars. A pomeranian and a cat are bigger than a rabbit so I was thinking this cage is good enough for rabbits.
jHliIy.jpg

I also see this dog cage that could be food for a mom rabbit with babies. It is around 22 US dollars. If I am good at carpentry I would have prefered DIY route but my ducks and chickens are free range for a reason. I suck at carpentry.

AdgwcW.jpg

Last edited:
so I must choose cages with small bars. I separated my doe from the bucks. My bucks seems to get along So I am not sure if I should separate them when they enjoy each other's company.

so I must choose cages with small bars. I separated my doe from the bucks. My bucks seems to get along So I am not sure if I should separate them when they enjoy each other's company.
I would seperate to be safe. Last thing you want is them to fight suddenly and ruin eachothers.... baby makers.

I see no reason why you cannot use kennels. Seems like a brilliant plan. Just get ones with small (.5x.5 inch is best) or wrap hardware cloth around the ones for does with kits

Have you considered this style of rabbit cage?
https://www.kwcages.com/cages/modular-wire-cages.html
https://www.bassequipment.com/SCResult/Cages-225

You can buy them or make them yourself.
They're made of wire mesh, put together with little metal rings. You don't need to know carpentry, just cut the wire and clip on the rings with pliers. Since the wire is a grid, it's easy to count the right number of squares and cut straight along one row.

The wire mesh needs to be quite sturdy, much stronger than hardware cloth, if you want it to be self-supporting instead of having a wood or metal frame. They typically use 14 gauge wire, or sometimes one gauge up or down from that (smaller number is stronger wire.)

The usual wire sizes for rabbits: 1/2" by 1" holes for the floor (so droppings fall through but rabbit feet do not), and 1" by 2" holes for the rest (which keeps in all bunnies except newborns). Sometimes they have smaller mesh on the bottom edges of the walls (labeled "Babysaver," to keep in newborn bunnies too.)

This style of cage is usually hung inside a predator-proof enclosure with a roof, or stacked up with trays under each level.

You probably can't order from the US-based companies I linked, but they both have pictures, so you can see the style of cage I'm thinking of. They come in many different sizes, for different size rabbits.

(I'm not saying this is the "best" style, just showing it as one possible style.)

someone sells them here for 40 to 60 to US dollars. I just got interested with the dog cages because they are cheap. I guess I need to drain my bank account.
The purpose-made rabbit cages can be really convenient, but I agree that cheap is also good. The dog cages probably can work too; I agree with most of the points other people have made, about what might need special consideration.

Definitely check the dimensions before buying, to make sure you get ones that are big enough, because I see they do come in several sizes.

Back
Top Bottom