Can chickens and geese eat broccoli leaves?

May 12, 2020
That's it. That's the question. Can I feed my chickens and geese the broccoli plant including the leaves after I've harvested the broccoli flower? Thanks folks!

That's it. That's the question. Can I feed my chickens and geese the broccoli plant including the leaves after I've harvested the broccoli flower? Thanks folks!
Yes. I don't know if they will eat it all, or leave some parts uneaten, but it is not poisonous to them.

Other options:
If the plant is growing in your garden, you can harvest the first head and let the plant keep growing-- it will make side shoots that you can pick & eat too.

You can also eat broccoli leaves & stems yourself if you want to, because they are edible for people too.

You can offer it to them. If they want to eat it, they will. If they don't wat to eat it they won't. I regularly offer broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, chard, lettuce, and spinach to my flock. Each year is different. Some years they eat all of these. Some years they prefer some over the others and which ones they prefer can be different each year.

Back
Top Bottom