Can chickens die of loneliness?

cottoncandyx

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I've had two chickens since day one and they've been together inseparable ever since.

I came home today and one was missing, literally gone from the face of the earth it was so hard looking for it cause I couldn't stop from getting teary eyed.
I have NO idea where it went. I looked for HOURS. We have an enclosed back yard. I looked around the perimeter, we thought a cat or another animal took it but we see no feathers or blood. The other chicken was by herself roosting in a corner in the garage sort of scared.....we think someone took the other chicken while we were away.

So I was wondering...can the lonely chicken die of loneliness? If they do...what are the chances? My mom thinks it might.

Thank you.

Agree, don't know whether they die of this, but they are certainly at a loss; they are such flock animals, and she needs another chicken/chickens.

I suspect a hawk. I heard that you can use a feather duster as a surrogate friend to help comfort a lonely chick.

Still no sign
sad.png

I'm not sure if it was a hawk, I don't think we have any in this area.

Usually if it's lost it always starts crying, didn't hear it anywhere. I'm hoping it was just having so much fun somewhere it was exploring and it'll come back tomorrow morning to it's place where it likes to roost.

OP............ So I was wondering...can the lonely chicken die of loneliness? If they do...what are the chances? My mom thinks it might.

No they can't, they are not wired that way................ people think they will because they think chickens think like people. silly humans LOL.

WTS chickens are flock birds so having other birds around give them relief from the thought of preditors, they do better in a flock enviroment.

Last edited:
Yes, I absolutely believe that a chicken can (and will) die of loneliness. One of my most vivid memories was many, many years ago when I was probably about 8 I was given a baby duck and a baby chick for Easter. We kept them both in the backyard and I would play with them all the time and the two of them were inseperable. It was probably about 4 months afterward that the duck had an accident and probably broke its neck and died. Almost immediately the chick began to cry very loudly and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. After a while its crying got softer and softer and it laid down and died. I am a firm believer that chicks can die of a broken heart.

Back
Top Bottom