Can chickens have milk?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They can have a bit of it, but chickens don't have the enzymes to digest milk and can cause them digestive issues. You might want to use Almond Milk or some sort to lactose free milk for them.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!
x2

I put milk on bread and they loved it. I don't give it to them a lot but during the winter warm milk on bread is a tasty treat...

[I[/I]Hi I usually give my chickens some milk & breadcrumbs/oats at bedtime. I tried almond milk tonight as I ran out of normal and Someone once told me helps to have stronger eggs. They don't appear to have any digestive problems at all. I usually give them a mix of carrot,silver beet,corn for breakfast mixed with some ground eggshells( recycled from their free range eggs..., pumpkin seeds. He also have some laying polls as a snack during the day plus bird seed which they normally share with the doves and pigeons in my Melbourne suburban back yard. Is it unusual for them not to lay at change of season like 30 plus and when they are molting...
Not sure if doing right things but they seem happy enough to greet my at the gate when I come home from work.

Regards,
Down under Chicks.

Our chickens love milk and lap it up like dogs. In fact they love love anything dairy. They have never had any ill effects and are as healthy as can be. I collected 10 eggs from the 11 hens in January yesterday. ps. our milk is organic : )

I have ( or better said my chickens)never experienced any ill effects from dairy. They get to share a little less than a quart of milk a month. I don't have access to good quality fresh milk so I have to rely on the store bought variety. I know its fresh well past the expiration date, but when I get down to the dregs, my ladies get the rest of the jug poured into their crumble. They absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom