Can I hatch eggs that were bought at the farmer's market today?

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
To clarify, my daughter inlaw bought them with the intention to eat them, and gave me 3. They are very clean, so I assume they have been washed, and I believe that eggs sold at farmer's markets are required to be washed around my area (Tennessee). I do not know how long ago they were laid. So, I have 3, and would love to put them in the incubator if there is a chance of them hatching and being healthy.

It depends. If they are fertile, then yes, if not, no. An easy way to check this, is to put a bright light (like a flashlight) under the egg, and see if there is like a “Glob” or “Spot” inside the egg. If there is, then it is fertilized and you can hatch them, if not, then you can’t. You can find more information online, I hope that this helps, have a great day!
You cannot tell if an egg is fertile by candling it.....
....not until it's been incubating for about 3-4 days.

Hatching eggs are fairly inexpensive. What do you want ducks for? Just for fun? Eggs? Meat?

Washed eggs are open to bacteria, I wouldn't try to hatch them. You don't know what duck laid these either, they could be mixed breed, as a person who is looking to buy ducks I hate finding nothing but mutts. What if you have to sell them down the road? Craigslist is loaded with mixes, not very many people want them.
Sorry I disagree. I find mutts to be better layers. I'm raising for eggs not showing. I love my mixes, they are harder to sell, people want designer instead of utility. But I like my little guys. I would never try to pass them off as more than just ducks. Some do.

Sorry I disagree. I find mutts to be better layers. I'm raising for eggs not showing. I love my mixes, they are harder to sell, people want designer instead of utility. But I like my little guys. I would never try to pass them off as more than just ducks. Some do.
Oops I meant to disagree only about mixed ducks. I agree with The rest of the post :D

I have heard of people doing it and ending up with a successful hatch. I mean the eggs were free, if you already have an incubator and the ability to properly care for ducklings then why not give it a shot if that's what you want to do? Sometimes it's fun to do something spontaneous like trying to hatch free supermarket duck eggs💁

It depends. If they are fertile, then yes, if not, no. An easy way to check this, is to put a bright light (like a flashlight) under the egg, and see if there is like a “Glob” or “Spot” inside the egg. If there is, then it is fertilized and you can hatch them, if not, then you can’t. You can find more information online, I hope that this helps, have a great day!

Hatching eggs are fairly inexpensive. What do you want ducks for? Just for fun? Eggs? Meat?

Washed eggs are open to bacteria, I wouldn't try to hatch them. You don't know what duck laid these either, they could be mixed breed, as a person who is looking to buy ducks I hate finding nothing but mutts. What if you have to sell them down the road? Craigslist is loaded with mixes, not very many people want them.

Back
Top Bottom