Can I hatch eggs that were bought at the farmer's market today?

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
To clarify, my daughter inlaw bought them with the intention to eat them, and gave me 3. They are very clean, so I assume they have been washed, and I believe that eggs sold at farmer's markets are required to be washed around my area (Tennessee). I do not know how long ago they were laid. So, I have 3, and would love to put them in the incubator if there is a chance of them hatching and being healthy.

It depends. If they are fertile, then yes, if not, no. An easy way to check this, is to put a bright light (like a flashlight) under the egg, and see if there is like a “Glob” or “Spot” inside the egg. If there is, then it is fertilized and you can hatch them, if not, then you can’t. You can find more information online, I hope that this helps, have a great day!

Hatching eggs are fairly inexpensive. What do you want ducks for? Just for fun? Eggs? Meat?

Washed eggs are open to bacteria, I wouldn't try to hatch them. You don't know what duck laid these either, they could be mixed breed, as a person who is looking to buy ducks I hate finding nothing but mutts. What if you have to sell them down the road? Craigslist is loaded with mixes, not very many people want them.

Hatching eggs are fairly inexpensive. What do you want ducks for? Just for fun? Eggs? Meat?

Washed eggs are open to bacteria, I wouldn't try to hatch them. You don't know what duck laid these either, they could be mixed breed, as a person who is looking to buy ducks I hate finding nothing but mutts. What if you have to sell them down the road? Craigslist is loaded with mixes, not very many people want them.
I only want the ducks for eggs to eat and fun to play with, I also have chickens for the same reason 💜

I only want the ducks for eggs to eat and fun to play with, I also have chickens for the same reason 💜
I would try to get a purebred, they're my personal preference 🤷🏻‍♀️

I would recommend Welsh Harlequin. But if you want to give it a whack with these eggs then go ahead! I have heard of lots of people who hatched store bought or farmers market eggs.

It depends. If they are fertile, then yes, if not, no. An easy way to check this, is to put a bright light (like a flashlight) under the egg, and see if there is like a “Glob” or “Spot” inside the egg. If there is, then it is fertilized and you can hatch them, if not, then you can’t. You can find more information online, I hope that this helps, have a great day!
You cannot tell if an egg is fertile by candling it.....
....not until it's been incubating for about 3-4 days.

I would try to get a purebred, they're my personal preference 🤷🏻‍♀️

I would recommend Welsh Harlequin. But if you want to give it a whack with these eggs then go ahead! I have heard of lots of people who hatched store bought or farmers market eggs.
Well, now ya got me thinking. And the winter season is to be here soon. Mayhaps I ought wait til spring to get ducks. And, I could be selective about the breed. I want to hatch them myself, though, to have a better chance of imprinting. Or, I could get a seed pair that are only a day or so old. The issue I come to is that I can't find fertilized eggs, and I can't order just a couple ducklings without paying a hefty "small order fee". 🤔

Well, now ya got me thinking. And the winter season is to be here soon. Mayhaps I ought wait til spring to get ducks. And, I could be selective about the breed. I want to hatch them myself, though, to have a better chance of imprinting. Or, I could get a seed pair that are only a day or so old. The issue I come to is that I can't find fertilized eggs, and I can't order just a couple ducklings without paying a hefty "small order fee". 🤔
Smiles-N-Sunshine breeds welshies, and ships eggs. You could always check out the Buy Sell Trade section of BYC.

Back
Top Bottom