Can this be MacGuyvered into a coop?

I saw this in the newest ALDI catalogue and my first thought was "coop!". I'm extremely limited with time to either build a good coop or a budget to buy a ready to assemble kit, so I've been on the hunt since forever ago for some kind of compromise.

My rough plans with this would be to get two (maybe 3?) kits and join them frame to frame so they form a tunnel type walk-through coop. Then chicken wire the front half/two thirds, and roof and wall the rear one for protection etc. I'd keep the shelves as handy nesting box shelves for the rear and perhaps even put potted chook friendly plants in the front shelves. Roosts could easily be assembled, and with its handy 6' height I'd not need to worry about egg access because a simple door at the front is the only access I'd need.

Dimensions are 195H, 143W, 76D. Footprint would work out approximately 5' x 4.5' if I only used two frames. Three frames would increase it to 7.5' x 4.5'. I'd also not include the bottom floor shelf so they can use the extra space for more scratching about. Frames are tubular steel, so pretty durable.

If you've got thoughts, suggestions, reasons why it's not going to work, etc, please reply!View attachment 1352254
What stores do you have near by?
Maybe we can help you look for something to use with in a certain budget?

Bunnings is about the only hardware shop I have access to. I've tried looking for hoop coop supplies, but I'm either searching for the wrong thing or they don't stock it - which is odd, as Bunnings is a huge warehouse style hardware supplier in Australia, and they sell everything.

Please do not use that cheap thing for chickens.
Do you have any friends who do carpentry?
What I did was ask one of my carpentry friends for help.
I told him what I wanted and he made me a list of materials to buy.
Then he came over with his tools and we built it together in a couple of days.
I built the Run myself when I had time with scrap my dad gave me and some 4x4 posts.
I then traded my friend some of my custom made fishing lures in exchange for his help.
His tools and construction knowledge really sped up the process and saved money.
Some Salvage scrap materials from my dad's place also help save money.
But we built it right so we don't have to build it again. You can build quality once or Crap multiple times.
In the long run quality is cheaper and less headache.

Bunnings is about the only hardware shop I have access to. I've tried looking for hoop coop supplies, but I'm either searching for the wrong thing or they don't stock it - which is odd, as Bunnings is a huge warehouse style hardware supplier in Australia, and they sell everything.
Let me see if I can find their website.

Back
Top Bottom